Need tips: How to handle a Big camera setup underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Compudude:

You are correct: the coils are "sheathed" in 1 inch tubular nylon webbing. The webbing smooths out the space between the coils. I find they don't get tangled as easily on gear like compass lanyards, for example.

On a couple of dives the past few years my dive buddy's retractable compass line (mounted on a chest D ring) has gotten tangled with the coils. Given the viz in our part of the world we frequently have to combine photo shoots with compass navigation. Not a big deal, but so far I have not had this happen.

The dive certification agancies should come up with a compass navigation while shooting with a DSLR rig specialty! Always entertaining.

Cheers,

Dan

I have a big Ikelite housing (for D20). I use a climbing sling (Mammut Dyneema Contact Sling at REI.com or similar), permanently tied to the left strobe post, with a sliding o-ring on it.

To carry the rig above water, pass it from a boat, or for a shore dive entry, I slip the end of the sling around the right strobe post knob, secure it by sliding the o-ring and I get an instant handle (you can even sling it on a shoulder - those with heavy strobes will appreciate the idea).

When using it, I secure the sling the same way around my wrist (the sling is long enough to let me adjust the strobes and access the BC inflator/purges easily). When I'm not feeling paranoid (not often), I wrap the sling around the left handle and it usually stays put.

Mostly, I'm sure if I accidentally loose the camera, it won't be because the sling broke - those things are usually rated for a couple metric tons :)

I shoot a "big rig" and have a couple of thoughts that I haven't seen mentioned.

If you are shooting WA the dome is vulnerable and is best protected while the system is in your hands. If you clip the camera to your body care is necessary to make sure no hard parts make contact with the dome.

A short lanyard is best for securing the system. A long lanyard or coil cord will flail around and if long enough bang your legs or thighs while you kick.

The system I use is a brass clip attached near my waist and a wrist lanyard that I can optionally clip to the brass clip or attach to my wrist when I want to secure the system.

I take my lens cover with me and remove and replace when the camera is used/stowed.

I have a big Ikelite housing (for D20). I use a climbing sling (Mammut Dyneema Contact Sling at REI.com or similar), permanently tied to the left strobe post, with a sliding o-ring on it.

To carry the rig above water, pass it from a boat, or for a shore dive entry, I slip the end of the sling around the right strobe post knob, secure it by sliding the o-ring and I get an instant handle (you can even sling it on a shoulder - those with heavy strobes will appreciate the idea).

When using it, I secure the sling the same way around my wrist (the sling is long enough to let me adjust the strobes and access the BC inflator/purges easily). When I'm not feeling paranoid (not often), I wrap the sling around the left handle and it usually stays put.

Mostly, I'm sure if I accidentally loose the camera, it won't be because the sling broke - those things are usually rated for a couple metric tons :)

Got a pic? Curious to see how this works, and I'm not quite picturing it...

I shoot a "big rig" and have a couple of thoughts that I haven't seen mentioned.

If you are shooting WA the dome is vulnerable and is best protected while the system is in your hands. If you clip the camera to your body care is necessary to make sure no hard parts make contact with the dome.

A short lanyard is best for securing the system. A long lanyard or coil cord will flail around and if long enough bang your legs or thighs while you kick.

These are good thoughts for people to keep in mind.

Got a pic? Curious to see how this works, and I'm not quite picturing it...

Misfortunately, no... But I'll take one next time I'll go diving with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom