Need tips: How to handle a Big camera setup underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been diving with my housed DSLR (Nikon D80) in the Red Sea. That was a bathtub. Thanks for all the info about more robust diving. I like the positioning the strobes to form a "V" and put your hands in it.

I also never go down with just holding my camera. I realize I need a more sturdy way of attaching it and I'll try to let you know when I find it.

Connect bolt snaps to each handle, and clip it off to both chest d-rings when you're not shooting. Bulky and PITA, but that's the sacrifice you make for great photos. :wink:

Similar to what CompuDude said, I have male & female clips attached to my chest D-rings and my UW housing handles, so I can attach the camera and go hands-free. I couldn't imagine not having a hands-free option available to me.

032637.jpg

image.php

That said, I only clip it to my chest when doing shore diving entries/exit (which is once a week), and when doing a long swim back to a boat in a current. I've never clipped it off during ascents/descents, unless I'm about to ascend into the surf zone on a beach dive.

Scott

I'm a big fan of the coiled QR cables, but honestly I'm not sure I would trust a multi-thousand dollar rig to one. They're great for smaller rigs, and even "largish" smaller rigs (P&S cameras with real housings, strobes, trays, etc), but getting into DSLR territory where things start having serious mass behind them, I'm not sure I would trust the plastic connections that actually hold the coils together. It would be fine when clipped in the "closed coil" configuration, of course, that's sturdy stuff, but the coils, when extended, just aren't quite robust enough for me to fully trust. And finally, detaching it, even in the "closed coil" configuration, leaves quite a long dangly coming off the camera. That would not be especially good to have hanging down for a whole dive. At the shortest, it's a foot long with a heavy clip swinging like a mini-wrecking ball, waiting to snag on something.

The "waiting to snag on something" part I can understand. I already bought the Quick Release Coiled Lanyard so I'm going to test it out to see how it works. If I don't like having it constantly attached via the coil, I'll just cut it, get rid of it and just use the quick release to attach it to my BC when I need to, the see how it works.

Here's the one I bought:

SP6A_08.jpg

The "waiting to snag on something" part I can understand. I already bought the Quick Release Coiled Lanyard so I'm going to test it out to see how it works. If I don't like having it constantly attached via the coil, I'll just cut it, get rid of it and just use the quick release to attach it to my BC when I need to, the see how it works.

I would consider exchanging that one for the one with a metal bolt snap. That little plastic hook on the one you pictured is not up to the challenge of holding a heavy DSLR rig (almost definitely not on land, and probably not in a heavy surf situation). I have the splitring attached to my rig via a webbing loop, and the bolt snap attached to me. And mind you, I DON'T have a heavy DSLR rig, just a heavy P&S rig (Ikelite housing plus Inon strobe).

coillanyard_aqutcl.jpg
s80-kit.jpg

I would consider exchanging that one for the one with a metal bolt snap. That little plastic hook on the one you pictured is not up to the challenge of holding a heavy DSLR rig (almost definitely not on land, and probably not in a heavy surf situation). I have the splitring attached to my rig via a webbing loop, and the bolt snap attached to me. And mind you, I DON'T have a heavy DSLR rig, just a heavy P&S rig (Ikelite housing plus Inon strobe).

That is a very good observation CompDude, I didn't think about that. Well, I guess I'll use it for the moment until I can get a better one and then use that one for the dive light or something like that.

Still, I don't understand how do you attach it to the ring part. How does using that webbing loop work? I don't have an SLR either but my rig is similar to yours, a medium size Ikelite housing with a strobe.

Still, I don't understand how do you attach it to the ring part. How does using that webbing loop work? I don't have an SLR either but my rig is similar to yours, a medium size Ikelite housing with a strobe.

I have a loop of webbing from an old something or another, which loops into the split-ring. If I didn't have that, I'd use cave line or something similar to tie it on... or even another split ring. Pretty straight-forward, just figure out something that works for you.

Those little plastic clips that tie in the lanyard are weak too. I went to a boating store and found a lanyard that had loops on the ends with metal crimps. Then just choked the ends onto the bolt snaps.

Below is a link/photo showing the lanyards and clips I use for my Subal/D300/Twin Ikelite and Hartenberger focus light, when needed. Pretty similar to what has been discussed: one lanyard for each grip or strobe.

I prefer the non-coil type of lanyard as the coils seem to get tangled more easily (my dive buddy uses a coil system). My BCD's have stainless D-rings chest high on each side. When the plastic clip shortening the lanyard is released, the rig, if let go, drops to knee level.

The only issue I have had is cold water dry suit diving with heavy gloves off a boat. Periodically it will take me a couple of tries to unhook the metal clips from my BCD to had the camera up to someone on the boat's transom. No issues in tropical spots, or water as "warm" as the Galapagos.

Have Fun,

Dan

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/128085/ppuser/76143

Below is a link/photo showing the lanyards and clips I use for my Subal/D300/Twin Ikelite and Hartenberger focus light, when needed. Pretty similar to what has been discussed: one lanyard for each grip or strobe.

I prefer the non-coil type of lanyard as the coils seem to get tangled more easily (my dive buddy uses a coil system). My BCD's have stainless D-rings chest high on each side. When the plastic clip shortening the lanyard is released, the rig, if let go, drops to knee level.

The lanyards pictured look like they have coils to me... covered coils, perhaps, but coils nonetheless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom