Need tips: How to handle a Big camera setup underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xaveri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently purchased a new Canon A590 IS on an Ikelite housing with double handles and strobe. This is a significant upgrade from what I've been using so far (An Intova IC600 in a small housing).

I'm used to simply attach the camera with D-ring to my BC as I make my descent. Also as I dive and encounter current its really easy to tuck my hands and the camera in to reduce drag.

My new setup is bigger and I don't think I can do that anymore. So, I'm looking for tips on how to handle a bigger setup on descents, current and any other type of difficult situation. Of course I wouldn't risk my safety for that of my camera, I would just like to know what you guys and gals think are the best practices when diving with a big camera setup.

Last edited:
You should still be able to take the camera down without the handles and strobes, which on some more difficult dives, may be the way to go. The strobes are nice sometimes, but others they may get in the way. I have a Canon A650 with Canon housing and strobe, and I have figured out a way to hold the camera so that it folds neatly in one hand at my side. You just have to get comfortable with it and dive more. Don't swim with your hands, this is a basic idea of good diving anyway. Holding the camera with one hand at your side still gives you the other hand to (carefully) grab rocks in big surge or heavy currents.

I have a camera with double strobes and I still connect it to my BC with a coiled lanyard. I fold the strobes down close to the camera and hold the camera with one hand as I descend. When I get to depth, I position the strobes, turn them on and away I go. In current, I go with the current and when i want to take a pic I either fin against the current or duck behind a coral head to get out of the current. In the Galapagos, I lodged myself on the lava rock formations and then took my pics. If I need to use both hands, I shorten the lanyard and just let the camera go. I stays about chest high and out of the way. You should not have a problem with your new gear.

Regards,

Bill

Connect bolt snaps to each handle, and clip it off to both chest d-rings when you're not shooting. Bulky and PITA, but that's the sacrifice you make for great photos. :wink:

Be very careful attaching cameras of that size to yourself. In an emergency situation, if they get in the way of sharing air, it can be a catastrophe. I take the two strobe arms and fold them across the top to make a large handle. It fits safely over your arm freeing your hand to handle your diving needs. This is easier to do with two strobes, but with one strobe fold it to make an upside down "v" to rest over your arm.

Of all of the lost cameras that I know of, most of them were by people who "thought" that the camera was properly clipped but wasn't. The other dropped camera was let go in a panic emergency so it fortunately had no chance of interrupting an air exchange.

I keep my camera in my hands as I never know when I will want to shoot, and I always want to be ready anyway, so a clip is not necessary.

Well said Cathy. I frequently dive in strong currents with my camera. I have gotten used to just holding onto it. When needed I use a lanyard that clips off to both handles. If I need both hands for assent or descent on a wreck I slip the lanyard over my arm. This way I have my hands free, and it is not in the way. In an emergency I can ditch it easily. I will cry, but that is what insurance is for. Remember you are a diver first, then a photographer.

I dive in the cold deep great lakes.
There is not anything worth shooting until you get to the bottom. Unless your buddy trys to mount another team mate while hanging stops, but thats another story.

I dive a D100 with a DS-125 strobe.
I have a coil lanyard with a bolt snap on each end. I tie a piece of nylon rope to the camera tray and through the end of a bolt snap. When I "stow" the camera I first fold up the strobe across the top of the housing, then I have the bolt snap at the end of the lanyard on my chest D ring. The bolt snap tied to the camera snaped to the end of the first bolt snap. This makes the connection long enough to tuck the camera behind my right arm up along my wing. Just like slinging a stage bottle. This keeps the camera in my slip stream for swimming and out of the way for other tasks.

When the camera is in use I unclip the bolt snap tied to the camera. If something goes bust when I'm shooting I can drop the rig and the lanyard is long enough so it drops just below my feet. If it really hits the fan my lanyard is weak enough where a really good placed kick will break it. I can also cut it if needed.

I use a piece of nylon rope to attach the bolt snap to the camera incase the bolt snap seizes I can cut the rope and ditch the camera. You can replace a rig, not a life. But if I can function properly to save a life and save my rig I'm ok with that.

Be very careful attaching cameras of that size to yourself. In an emergency situation, if they get in the way of sharing air, it can be a catastrophe. I take the two strobe arms and fold them across the top to make a large handle. It fits safely over your arm freeing your hand to handle your diving needs. This is easier to do with two strobes, but with one strobe fold it to make an upside down "v" to rest over your arm.

Of all of the lost cameras that I know of, most of them were by people who "thought" that the camera was properly clipped but wasn't. The other dropped camera was let go in a panic emergency so it fortunately had no chance of interrupting an air exchange.

I keep my camera in my hands as I never know when I will want to shoot, and I always want to be ready anyway, so a clip is not necessary.

Good point. I should clarify that the clipping to the chest method I referred to has to do with entries and exits... specifically shore entries and exits... and not for general use during the dive.

I've been practicing with my setup topside to see how easy it is to fold the strobe arm and hang it on my arm or tuck it in close to my body. I think I got it kinda figure out. The only thing that I need to figure out is some way to attach it in cases when I need to have my hands free, mostly during descents because I sometimes have to handle the camera, equalize, handle the dive flag, etc. and I only have 2 hands.

I'm thinking towards the idea of using a coiled quick release cable, and have it attached only when I need it. Than way I can detach the quick release and get it away from me without loosing it. If I need to ditch it, I'll just detach the whole thing.

I've been practicing with my setup topside to see how easy it is to fold the strobe arm and hang it on my arm or tuck it in close to my body. I think I got it kinda figure out. The only thing that I need to figure out is some way to attach it in cases when I need to have my hands free, mostly during descents because I sometimes have to handle the camera, equalize, handle the dive flag, etc. and I only have 2 hands.

I'm thinking towards the idea of using a coiled quick release cable, and have it attached only when I need it. Than way I can detach the quick release and get it away from me without loosing it. If I need to ditch it, I'll just detach the whole thing.

I'm a big fan of the coiled QR cables, but honestly I'm not sure I would trust a multi-thousand dollar rig to one. They're great for smaller rigs, and even "largish" smaller rigs (P&S cameras with real housings, strobes, trays, etc), but getting into DSLR territory where things start having serious mass behind them, I'm not sure I would trust the plastic connections that actually hold the coils together. It would be fine when clipped in the "closed coil" configuration, of course, that's sturdy stuff, but the coils, when extended, just aren't quite robust enough for me to fully trust. And finally, detaching it, even in the "closed coil" configuration, leaves quite a long dangly coming off the camera. That would not be especially good to have hanging down for a whole dive. At the shortest, it's a foot long with a heavy clip swinging like a mini-wrecking ball, waiting to snag on something.

Back
Top Bottom