Need SSI Check-out Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, exactly!

SSI no longer issues universal referral forms. I suppose there could be extenuating circumstances that might require such, but all SSI documentation is done electronically, and is transferred through their network. Students are not given any paperwork and the only way to access the students' progress is via the SSI database (which is quite slick I might add!). This of course ensures that a student beginning as SSI, finishes as SSI.

This is sort of true, but not entirely...they did change the referral system, but it doesn't mean students don't or can't get a paper referral, or complete their cert with an instructor from another agency. What's different now is that the instructor you refer a student to is asked to sign off on all the SSI skills (a checklist is included) and then the student brings everything back and gets a cert card from the original shop/instructor. When referring between SSI shops the process is/can be entirely digital, but you're not prevented from referring students to instructors from other agencies or giving paper referrals. Being on the receiving end and an SSI shop you would only have seen the digital referrals.

I just booked an SSI Deep Dive with Salty Endeavors in Cozumel. The dives won't happen until March, but I've been very impressed with their responsiveness and follow through so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom