Need SSI Check-out Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably because PADI punishes any prominent PADI affiliated shop if they "advertise" other agencies.

Dave Dillehay

Probably because PADI punishes any prominent PADI affiliated shop if they "advertise" other agencies.

Dave Dillehay

Hi Dave,

I'm hopeful you can share more details on the punishment that PADI dolls out. Salty Endeavors is both an SSI and a PADI dive center, and to date we've noticed no negative reaction from PADI. I know they won't let me personally become a PADI Master Instructor while still affiliated with SSI, but that's merely a title given and not something I concern myself with. I know PADI offers an inferior product to both the dive center and consumer, but again I wouldn't chalk that up as punishment because its something that every PADI center must deal with. I'd like to keep my eye out for any negative push back from PADI in the future, so anything you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Dave,

I'm hopeful you can share more details on the punishment that PADI dolls out. Salty Endeavors is both an SSI and a PADI dive center, and to date we've noticed no negative reaction from PADI. I know they won't let me personally become a PADI Master Instructor while still affiliated with SSI, but that's merely a title given and not something I concern myself with. I know PADI offers an inferior product to both the dive center and consumer, but again I wouldn't chalk that up as punishment because its something that every PADI center must deal with. I'd like to keep my eye out for any negative push back from PADI in the future, so anything you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

First, I am a FIRM believer that the certifying agency for recreational
Diving is far less important than the quality of the instructor.

I agree with Dave, PADI does not like multiple agencies being represented. My guess is that they just haven’t noticed yet Henry.

And my experience as an SSI Instructor was much, much different. In 2002/2003 I did a crossover to become SSI in addition to PADI. I spent a very large chunk of change on the materials as well as student materials. Less than a month later they rolled out an entirely new set of materials (which they knew they would be) and I was forced to buy them again - turns out the changes were insignificant and i did not find them to be as engaging for the students either - but I was so unimpressed I let my membership go after the first year. Maybe things have changed since then but still, I see so few SSI referrals come through. 90% of our students come in with PADI referrals or PADI e-learning.

With that said, I also despise the “ease” at how one can become a PADI Instructor these days. It’s become
Somdummed down, especially in popular dive destinations where these “zero to hero” programs are offered. So again, I am a FIRM believer that it’s not the agency that matters, but the instructor whether PADI, SSI, NAUI, YMCA etc.

First, I am a FIRM believer that the certifying agency for recreational
Diving is far less important than the quality of the instructor.

Yes and no. Certainly the instructor is instrumental, without question, and definitely the focal point of the educational process. But it all starts with the material the students are provided. Be it PADI or SSI or SDI or whoever, our students have the material before they meet me, or my team. With eLearning becoming so popular, that is becoming the norm for us. So to me it's important the process begins correctly so we can continue through, rather than play catch-up once they arrive to me.

It also goes beyond the in-water instruction. I've found PADI virtually ignores any student after they finish the class, or until they want to spend more money (minus the constant SPAM they send, of course). For example, with PADI the eLearning virtual classroom has a 1-year shelf life or the student can pay extra to keep it longer. With SSI the virtual classroom is accessible for the life of the student with no extra fees.There is much, much more that SSI stands out on, but I'm not here to sell SSI or start an agency debate :)

The way I describe the difference in the two agencies is PADI developed their program with a bottom-line in mind, while SSI developed their program with the diver in mind.

I agree with Dave, PADI does not like multiple agencies being represented. My guess is that they just haven’t noticed yet Henry.

I'll ask you the same... Any specifics you can offer that I can prepare for? I deal with my PADI representative, Jorge, on a regular basis. Just this week I told him how many SSI certs I processed versus PADI, and compared them to other shop-counts (no names, numbers only) on the island. He is well aware we are an SSI shop. When I enrolled with PADI I was already an SSI shop, and indicated such on my PADI application form. They know.

And my experience as an SSI Instructor was much, much different. In 2002/2003 I did a crossover to become SSI

A lot has changed in 15-16 years. On January 1, 2015 SSI went completely digital. They revamped their entire program and in process made it student-focused. When I lay all the facts, offerings, and costs out to my prospective students and give them a choice, to date not one student has chose the PADI model.

Maybe things have changed since then but still, I see so few SSI referrals come through. 90% of our students come in with PADI referrals or PADI e-learning.

I'm literally the exact opposite, but obviously that can be tracked back to our business model. As noted above, we processed more SSI certs than anyone in Cozumel. Additionally, we were also #7 in all of Mexico. According to Jorge of PADI, my SSI student count also surpasses all but a handful of Cozumel PADI shops (not bad for our second year of operation!). Basically the only shops that topped us are the hostel-style dive schools whose only market is pushing PADI classes. My biggest problem is I need another SSI instructor, and they are near impossible to find having a Mexican work visa. The only PADI certs I process now are ones that registered the eLearning class with PADI before I could stop them.

I think the reason why you see so few is because SSI students seek out SSI shops (see this thread title, for example).

With that said, I also despise the “ease” at how one can become a PADI Instructor these days. It’s become
Somdummed down, especially in popular dive destinations where these “zero to hero” programs are offered.

That's not just PADI, unfortunately. SSI has the same thing. Recently there is a guy on the island selling SSI DM classes of 7 days, Instructor certs in 3-4 or less days. His rational was every student learns at a different pace. While that might be true, no one with 100 dives belongs working as an OWSI or DM in a professional capacity - IMHO of course. At least I know the shop name so when it comes across my desk on a resume / CV I can toss the CV aside.

@Sloeber - thanks Henry - that’s actually really good information and I’m glad to hear that SSI has come so far. And makes sense that people seek out SSI shops.

We too have gone strictly to elearning so that they have that out of the way - because they are “forced” to get through the material - when I used to go through the expense and hassle of sending the books to students prior to arrival, 9 times out of 10 they hadn’t cracked the book before getting here.

As far as PADI knowing you’re SSI - maybe they too have gotten more lax on that, but as of a couple of years ago it was an issue. It could also be that you were SSI before you came to PADI - who knows.

I am glad that we have the ability to offer PADI certs or that we can sign off on SSI referrals for our guests so in our case it is student focused as well - i don’t ever try to push a PADI cert when someone comes in with an SSI referral - IMO that’s a disservice to the student.

To clarify, Aldora is a PADI 5 Star Resort which has some benefits to us. That status was threatened, maybe because we are prominent. Took all signs and advertising off that referenced other agencies.

Dave

To clarify, Aldora is a PADI 5 Star Resort which has some benefits to us. That status was threatened, maybe because we are prominent. Took all signs and advertising off that referenced other agencies.

Dave

Ahh, that's it. The 5-Star status. Salty Endeavors is also a PADI Dive Resort, but not 5-Star. The designation, as described by PADI - "PADI Five Star Dive Centers embrace the PADI System of diver education..."

I guess you can say we haven't fully embraced the PADI way :p

I've known several of the managers at XTC in Xcalak going back several years and they absolutely will not put any SSI/NAUI advertising anywhere, even though they'll do certifications. That PADI 5 star thing is super special I guess.

xtc-padi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom