Need someone experienced with the jetties in Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
My son and I would like to dive the jetties on the gulf coast, particularly around Pensacola and Destin. I would like to find someone that is experienced diving on some of these sites to go with us the first couple of times. My son is a new diver, I am a DiveCon and have around 100 dives. I think that I would be fine to just show up and figure it out, but why take chances? right?. Just need someone that can give us advice about tides and best times to dive, best spots, where to park, etc. We would like to dive one Saturday and maybe Sunday around the first or middle of July. Anyone interested reply here or send me a pm. Thanks,

Sam,
Drop a P/M to SuprBugMan on the board. He can give you a world of information.

the K

I'm game, just give me some advanced notice. The more the better :)

I haven't dove Ft Pickens(Pensacola) since before Ivan, the road was demolished, but they are supposed to have the park ready by July 4th. The road itself may already be open. *shrugs*

Destin's jetties have been fine(meaning accessible) since pretty much 2 weeks after Ivan.

Both are alotta fun IMO. Destin will generally have better visibility. Ft Pickens has/had some cool military garbage(jeep, airplane parts, other machinery that I have no idea what it might have been...) sunk around the rocks. Shoot for diving at high slack tide for best visibility and minimal current. Ft. Pickens is more forgiving to diving between currents, but it can still get pretty hairy. You can still dive to 30-40' on the protected side of Destin's jetties w/o getting into the currents there.

I'd be glad to join you on a Saturday dive at the Destin jetties, if my schedule allows - I won't know until the week before. I'll keep you posted as time gets closer. Be sure to check when high tide is - it dictates when the dive needs to be made for best viz and currents.

Never dove the Destin Jetties either. If you are going to dive on Saturday then please let me know. I would love to tag along. If you are going to dive them what time will you dive? Just got certified last Sunday on the Miss Louise and looking to meet and dive with someone who knows all the good dive spots.

Welcome to ScubaBoard yuronlyone

You'll want to dive the Destin Jetties at high slack tide, you can get this information from www.saltwatertides.com

You'll want to be in the water for 7:30AM Saturday(7/3) to dive the jetties in Destin.

I won't be out there this weekend, but keep an eye out in the FL Conch/Trips-n-Happenings forum for future dives. I dive the jetties and the panhandle springs often.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom