Need some more opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am shopping for a drysuit and I am kind of unsure about what my budget will be but I am looking at $1000+. I would love to make things simple and just get a custom DUI TLS350, however I don't think my birthday and Christmas presents will cover that because the local dealer quoated me a price of $1800 for the custom suit. So I decided that I need to shop around for some other options. I stopped by one of my other favorite LDS's today to check out what they could get for me. I have three more options there, a Dive Rite 905, Bare ATR lite, HD, or XCD2, and a suit from USIA. From what Bare's sizing says they might be the best bet for a stock size suit to fit me. However, the owner called them today and said they are going to offer the ATR lite in a custom which has a retail price of $1500. He was going to get some more up to date info from USIA and was going to call Dive Rite for some more sizing info since they onliy list max. torso size and max height. Are their any other suits out there I should be looking for? Any comments on the models I have been considering already? I need help becuase I really don't know a whole lot about these things.

I have the 905. The regular cut is pretty "husky". And they even have an additional size husky. I can't imagine how that looks. I am pleased with my suit. If I were to plan on staying where I am now, Japan I would get a different suit that didn't have such a relaxed fit. But my home state is Michigan, so I think that the additional room will be filled with undergarments as soon as I get back.

The only con that I have about the suit is the boots. They just don't cut it for me. Over here we 95% of shore dive require a good walk across sharp limestone. I just keep waiting for the boots to give in one of these days. After this season, I will be sending mine in to have the socks installed and move on to the rock boot system.

If money was not an issue to me, I would invest in the DUI custom. Very nice.

My .02

ds

If you cant afford a DUI (which I would strongly suggest that you try to work that out, or see how bad of a fit a stock suit is, or go with a Shoulder Entry version, which will drop the price)
I would then suggest a Dive Rite...

I tried both the TLS se and the TLS350 in an XL and they would work without the undergarments, but when I put on a polartec jumpsuit it was too snug in the hips and was boarderline in the chest. I am way too short for a xxl so moving up a size doesn't really seem to be an option. However, after lookng at their online size chart maybe I will stop by the local DUI dealer again and check out an XXL, according to the dealer they will shorten a suit 2" in the legs at no charge. Hmmmmm, maybe i can get that DUI afterall. Maybe with a little luck I can stumble across a close out or something from them too.

Yeah, I would look around. The other suits are OK, but the DUI's are the cat's arse...

For another good suit, find a shop that sells Andy's near you. They make a good suit as well, that is really nice (compared to the TLS-350).

DUI are good, but I'd check out a Gates VSN1100, they changed their name to Hunter recently.

Its a british company but the suits been reviewed and compared to DUIs and found as good.

Shipping might make it dear but you should be able to get it for less than a grand.

S

Back
Top Bottom