Need some local advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife wants to drag me and my sons to New Zealand (She has business there and is a big LOR fan) for 10-14 days, probably the North Island in the begining of March. She does not dive, but I love to dive with my sons from shore or day boats. I know NZ water is not the tropics, but compared to Maine in the winter, anything sounds nice.

What kind of local diving is there available?

Will US gear (yoke regs) work there or should I leave at home and rent DIN?

What kind of water temps to expect?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Go to the Poor Knights, Dive Tutukaka.

I had a few great dives with them.

March is probably our best month for diving, water temp should be 20/22 degrees in the north, yoke fittings are mostly standard fare throughout NZ. 5mm wetsuit. A El Orans said the Poor Knights are the best, Dive Tutakaka amd Poor Knights Diver offer top service, check out their websites. Also Goat Island Marine Reserve, not far from
Auckland and farther north the Bay Of Islands have great diving. Our latest wreck an old frigate will be in place up there by the time you visit.

Thanks for the advice. Already told my better half that I have to have a day ot so at PK, Bay of Islands sounds good also. 70F water in March is going to feel like a hot tub after winter in New Hampshire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom