Need some Can HID advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Metalsub USA:
I use a Metalsub HID200 (50 Watt HID) with 40° flood reflector and diffusion glass for all my photo and video shooting.

A friend of mine has one of these. It looks like he's carrying a sliver of the sun in his hand. :D LOL There's always one who wants to be the brightest fish in the aquarium.... That's not directed at you but I think it's the case with my friend. :wink:

I can understand the need for a bright light like this for some applications, but in my experience in animal watching it's niether necessary nor particulary effective for the reasons I stated above.

R..

Well my Salvo 21W twist focus HID just came in the mail... Can't wait to use it this weekend.

Anyone have any general maintenance/ care tips for HID (or link) as there was no manual with it?

pakman:
Well my Salvo 21W twist focus HID just came in the mail... Can't wait to use it this weekend.

Anyone have any general maintenance/ care tips for HID (or link) as there was no manual with it?

now im confused !

pakman:
I have a Salvo that I just received from Barry. I've put a couple dozen dives on it in 3'-85' vis. I have dove with friends that have the Welch Allen bulbs and I have to say that the Bright Star far out shines the Welch Allen. I love the light!!!!

As to maintenance: Pull and clean your O-ring with every dive. Every few dives, touch it up with a bit of silicone grease to keep it it nice and flexible. When closing the lid, Bob showed me the following technique - close both clamps at the same time. This should give you a nice even seal. Store the light with the lid unclamped. Do a bubble check before each dive. Essentially the same technique as you would for a camera.

hey thanks Oe2x. yeah so far I've just been playing with it in my bathtub... Barry was nice enough to respond to some questions I had.

Here's a question I have. When doing a giant stride entry, how do you hold the lamp head? In your hand and over your head to prevent the least impact or clipped to a chest D ring and held against your body with one hand?

pakman:

how will you have it serviced should you have any problems? remember pak you and i are in asia.

pakman:
Here's a question I have. When doing a giant stride entry, how do you hold the lamp head? In your hand and over your head to prevent the least impact or clipped to a chest D ring and held against your body with one hand?
I always keep my light head clipped off to my right shoulder D-ring with the cord tucked in my belt when I'm getting in or out of the water. For a giant stride or a back roll off I will put my left hand over the light head and use my right hand to cover my mask and reg. Generally speaking if your light head is clipped off the bulb will be facing your head. Your hand will cover the bulb a bit and disperse the force of the water.

pakman:
hey thanks Oe2x. yeah so far I've just been playing with it in my bathtub... Barry was nice enough to respond to some questions I had.

Hi Pakman! Keep it close to your body as you've described. Take care of your light, but you don't need to baby it. These lights are well build and designed to take the normal "abuse" of the average diver.

One thing you don't want to do is "flash" your HID bulb. If you turn you light on accidently, let it warm up 2-3 minutes before turning it off. This will help extend the life of your bulb. If you do happen to turn your light on/off quickly, don't worry. Just don't do it as part of your regular use. Fresh water rinse will keep your light happy after diving.

As I mentioned, if you have any issues with your light, contact us and we'll see that you are taken care of. 1year warranty on your light, including bulb and battery.

Let me know how your first night dive goes. Don't blind your buddy. :wink:

Got it... actually just found out I can fit the light head and switch top into my camera bag (padded compartments) without the need to get a separate pelican. So I'll just wrap the canister/battery in my wetsuit and toss it in my dive bag. Yup, can't wait to try it this weekend. Will do my best to blind Spoon... :wink:

OE2x thanks for the helpful tips!

pakman:
Got it... actually just found out I can fit the light head and switch top into my camera bag (padded compartments) without the need to get a separate pelican. So I'll just wrap the canister/battery in my wetsuit and toss it in my dive bag. Yup, can't wait to try it this weekend. Will do my best to blind Spoon... :wink:

OE2x thanks for the helpful tips!

bro just my o2cents but i would get a separate pelican for that "just in case" moment. having it in your camera bag will safely protect it but id rather have a dedicated case just for the lights:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom