need some advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALAN243

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
i am looking a 3 different compressors and need some advise on which one to get.

1st is a ingersol rand powered by a 4 cyl wisconson military surplus compressor

2nd is a mako 3 9300 8cfm electric

3rd is a bauer mariner electric

I like the idea of the gas powered just for portability, but am woried about the access of parts, the make is a nice compressor and so is the bauer.

So here is my dilema, figured the easiest way to get info was to post it here where the experts are!!!!

price on all three of these is close so that is not a factor.

You don't say what your intended use will be, also do you have access to 3 phase power. Are they all equal on filtrations, the only Ingersoll-Rand Scuba compressor I have ever dealt with was a Navy surplus unit about that was probably built in the 1950's-60's, filtration was questionable on it by the standards of the day 20 years ago. As far as parts and service go I suspect the Mako and the Bauer are probably about equal, although I might give the edge to Bauer here, same for service, but that really is a local issue. I don't know enough about the 9300 vs the Mariner to give more advice, other than to say they both have good reputations.

Ike

p.s. as you likely know engine driven compressors require much more care to prevent air contamination than electric units.

Does the Mako have a Bauer (Mariner) block or a Compair 5405 Block? I have used both blocks in machines and find them equally suitable. The only thing that I find in the Bauers favor is the cost of parts. If you were to do a complete valve overhaul, the Bauer would cost about half as much in parts. The electrics probably both have 7.5hp motors and if military surplus, are probably 3 phase. These can be run on single phase power with the right frequency drive or motor swap out.

Craig

I concur with Craig - the parts for Mako (aka Reavell) are substantially higher....at least double that of Bauer. Although...the Mako is somewhat heartier and prone to fewer break downs. Find out which "block" in actully in your Mako (the name on the fender may not necessarily reflect what motor is inside). Send me a photo, if you like, and i can discern the true identity for you.

I need to clarify a couple of things, the ingersol rand has been used as a scuba compressor it has 350 hrs total on it.and is the only surplus compressor Im looking at.

The mako has a bauer block and is single phase.

the bauer is a commercial model also that was used by hollywood divers in La. sinlge phase also.

I like the idea of the gas power just for ease of use and portability but am worried about finding parts if I need them.

Might I presume that the IR is the 15 cfm carriage mount that weighs 2000 lbs and that the Mako is a four stage which is older than dirt?

If so, I would get the Mariner.

I await your answer and the game goes on.

"gas power" and "ease of use" do not belong in the same sentence, as far as I am concerned. Gas power is a pain, especially if the gas power is some weirdo engine like the 4 cylinder Military Standard engine or whatever they called it, which may very well be what the IR has.

These are machines are all getting a bit on the large size to drag with you on weekends. If that is what you want, get a truely portable machine. Otherwise, get electric.

I like the idea of the gas power just for ease of use and portability but am worried about finding parts if I need them.

narrowed it down to the bauer and the mako here are a couple of pictures

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 81
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 95
  • compressor1.jpg
    compressor1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 72

Back