need some advice on mask and ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

Reaction score
Hi there.

Newbie here.I am having some trouble with water leakage in my mask. Also I am getting and keeping water in my ears, the water is not painful at this point. It does stay in my ears for a few hours after I get out of the pool.I have only done my pool dive so far so I haven't been in water over 15' or so_On the subject of masks..I think I prefer a purge valve,I wear contacts.Reading some of the message boards I see alot of negative comments on purge valves.Anyone care to enlighten me? Thus far I have used different masks, all w/p valves. Also I am curious as to high volume vs. low volume. I hate to have to buy equipment only to find out it doesn't really work for me.

Hey there silverfish!

With reference to the leaking mask it can be a number of things. As its not your own (from what I can tell from you message) I am guessing its one from the dive centre you are training with so no doubt its been used quite a few times...you may find that its seal is damaged or when you put the mask on a piece of hair gets caught and breaks the seal around the edge of your face. If you check the seal to make sure that it isnt damaged and when its on there is no hair I dont think you'll have a problem.

As for the problem with keeping water in your ears...I've never really had a problem with it so I dont really know much about it or ways to prevent it. I get water in my ears when I dive but that does tend to happen when your submerged!!! But as for it staying...I am not sure. Maybe you have a bit of a wax build up which is preventing it to leave, but thats just a logical me talking, but if you do have wax, just get it seringed out!...I cant say that it is wax for a fact so I will leave it for the experts.

Good luck on your open water dives!

Originally posted by silverfish
Hi there.

Newbie here.I am having some trouble with water leakage in my mask. Also I am getting and keeping water in my ears, the water is not painful at this point. It does stay in my ears for a few hours after I get out of the pool.I have only done my pool dive so far so I haven't been in water over 15' or so_On the subject of masks..I think I prefer a purge valve,I wear contacts.Reading some of the message boards I see alot of negative comments on purge valves.Anyone care to enlighten me? Thus far I have used different masks, all w/p valves. Also I am curious as to high volume vs. low volume. I hate to have to buy equipment only to find out it doesn't really work for me.

Getting water in your ears is a pain if it doesn't go away when you get out. I got a tip from a very experienced diver I will pass on to you. Mix 1/3 white vinegar with 2/3 rubbing alcohol. After every dive put 4-5 drops in your ear and use your fingers to sort of squish it around.

This will have 2 positive effects. 1) it will kill bacteria that may be in the water and that is now in your ears. 2) it will help to dry up the water in your ears.

I bought some drops at a local grocery store that is for swimmers that works pretty good, but the mix they had worked better. Since I didn't have a good bottle to put the mix in, the one I got at the store got dumped and the bottle filled with the mixture above.

Now water in the ears isn't such a problem.

I hope this helps you out.

Syruss
http://www.coraladventures.net

Before the people around here start slamming purge masks I gotta throw in my two bits.

I have a Tusa Hyperdry purge. I love it. The only drawback I have found is I can clear my ears one handed. This is forcing me to use other techniques to clear (good thing)It clears quickly and easily. I keep a resident face caterpiller (mustache) so mask leakage is normal for me.

The biggest drawback you will hear here is purge valves give you one more thing that can fail and sometimes get sand or other particulat matter inside that causes the valve to leak. Havn't had that prblem yet so I can't comment.

Have fun, relax and enjoy your diving.

Tom

I appreciate your comments one and all. The ear situation I will try to correct with solution as you suggested Syruss.Hate to wait until it is a real problem as I waited a little late in the season to take up diving and don't want to miss any opportunities left to me this year.

As for the mask, ScubaB I think it is operator error or lack of a good fit. I have been practicing with three different ones all borrowed from friends or siblings.One thing I notice is that laughing and smiling big underwater tends to cause leakage.
Now you are impressed at what a fast learner I am hmmm??:)

Tom,thanks for the good word on your mask.I really would like to be able to use a purge valve,I think.Of the ones I have tried Tusa is not amongst them, I am going to make an effort to try several things before I invest in my own equipment.

It is great to have this wealth of experience and opinion to draw from. Suddenly I don't feel quite so foriegn to the whole idea .

Thanks again:D

OK.Here goes.....You need a set of both...Hope that helps...
:tease:
Cheers Big Ears,
The Thunder From Down Under,
The Gasman.

Just another wooden nickles worth of advice

The water in the ears. That vinegar solution works well, there is also DOC's ear plugs, a lady at my LDS that swears by them.

I like the purge on a mask. I use the Ocean Master Z4, takes one hand to clear my ears, my back up mask is the Tusa Hyperdry takes two hands to clear my ears. or should I say equalize..

Mask strap position is also a factor in a leaking mask, too high and mask will leak, too low, same problem, plus your ears look funny with the strap over them. How many of you have seen this? Also strap tension will make a mask leak, too loose, leaks, too tight and it leaks also plus you get the "RFS" which last for several hours after diving.

I use a Mares Target, it's a freediving mask, ultra low volume, non-purge and clears with one hand, also have one for backup.

If all these tips and threads of advice don't work there is one more solution that is a guaranteed fix. Go down to your local automotive parts store, get some Permatex Gasket Sealant and put it around the edges of the mask and put mask on while it is still wet. Works. But you will have to sleep in your mask from now on.

ID

Just kidding about the Permatex, please don't try this!

Originally posted by Iguana Don
If all these tips and threads of advice don't work there is one more solution that is a guaranteed fix. Go down to your local automotive parts store, get some Permatex Gasket Sealant and put it around the edges of the mask and put mask on while it is still wet. Works. But you will have to sleep in your mask from now on.

Uhh Don,

To quote a movie "Uhh Houston we've got a problem" You know I have so much respect for your words of wisdom when I read your note, I went right out and got some Permatex. You're right, I got in the shower, water full blast, shook my head, smiled, played with my snorkel. Not a drop of water...

But....and there is always a but... I got out and was going to take it off when I could not I finished reading your post..

I am now on my way to the Hospital to have it surgically removed....I hope the mask will be okay!

Wish my mask luck....I should be fine once that ring of skin grows back.... :wink:

I also had a problem with leaky masks. I tried on many masks before I found the right one. I recommend you try on different masks in the dive shop's pool, if they have one, that way you won't have to come back and exchange your mask. I found out most masks are made for an average adult man and the measure five inches across. That explained why all the masks were fitting me so big and leaking. I also wanted a purge mask, but couldn't find them in smaller sizes, they were too big and heavy. I tried all the purge masks and ended up buying the smallest non-purge mask they had. It is so comfortable and I love it. Keep in mind that laugh lines could also let water in. How much is your mask leaking? If you have deep laugh lines like I do, you'll have to get used to the idea of having a little bit of water in your mask. And if it really bothers you, just clear it out. It gets easier with practice just relax. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom