Need Snow for Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found that some of the resorts are closed for the winter. The ski resort said they were going to make their snow for the slopes if they didn't get any. There was a Ranch that looked really nice but they are closed for the winter months. Thanks everybody for your help, it's hard when you don't live up there to know. I always asked myself when people come over to the conch section why so many questons, don't get me wrong I love to go on and on about how beautiful the reefs are here and where to eat and stay, dive ops ect. But now I know how you feel and why so many questions. You really do need to ask otherwise you would be lost.
Thanks again for your help.
Becky

I've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and in CO. If you want snow IMO CO is the way to go. The snow is light and fluffy, and not wet. Stay in Breckenridge, or Winter Park, or Copper Mountain, or Vail. Just because you don't ski does not mean that ski resorts are out of the question, and in fact you may want to give your boys some lessons, and see if they like it.

All of the resorts I mention have a LOT of fun stuff going on for the non-skier. Live music at multiple bars/locations generally starting in mid afternoon, cool restaurants, sledding, ice skating, snowmobiling, Xcountry skiing, shopping, and lots of other stuff. Crested Butte is one of my favorite resort towns.

If you need more information, or advice this is certainly the right place to post for Colorado and feel free to PM. It's NOT cheap to vacation here, but not a lot more than most resort places either unless you need five start accommodations in Aspen! Speaking of Aspen, another great resort town, but likely the most expensive of the lot.

As for snow, we've had a very dry year to date. However that WILL change. It's suppose to get very cold and snow in Denver and the Mountains on Tues night~Thursday. Denver is NOT the place to see snow. Despite what most people think Denver has something like 250 days of sunshine, and generally gets snow a few times a year in any measure. The mountains however can see snow daily for weeks at a time.

If you are looking for lodging on the cheap there are some places like Fairplay, or outside of Baily for example that have Cabins that my run less than in places like Breck. There are also towns near resorts like Eagle (Vail) or Silverthrone (Breck/Keystone) that are going to be less expensive vs. staying right in the resort town.

Renting a car is a bit troublesome. A 4x4 is a LOT more expensive vs. a car, and generally not needed. The rental companies won't even guarantee snow tires, in fact most cars will not have them. A better option maybe to use the shuttle service to the resorts to/from the airport.

Good Luck with the decision.

If you do come to Breckenridge, be sure to let me know. I have many friends who are instructors for the Ski Resort, etc... I've been here for over 15 years :wink:

I've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and in CO. If you
Renting a car is a bit troublesome. A 4x4 is a LOT more expensive vs. a car, and generally not needed. The rental companies won't even guarantee snow tires, in fact most cars will not have them. A better option maybe to use the shuttle service to the resorts to/from the airport.

Good Luck with the decision.

This from the guy who drives a Subaru AWD.

I think a 4X4 is a must, especially with 3 or more people. You would want to space anyways, and the day you don't have one is the day that the pass is snow covered when you are trying to make it back to the airport to catch your flight.

Another option that I was thinking about based upon this snow year would be the pacific Northwest. they have been getting lots of snow this year and getting up into the mountains from Portland, Seattle or Vancouver is pretty easy.

This from the guy who drives a Subaru AWD.

I think a 4X4 is a must, especially with 3 or more people.

The reason I suggested that a 4x4 is normally not needed is because.. well it's not! :D

I have found that a front wheel drive Sedan is almost as good as my pickup truck unless the snow is deep. If the snow is that deep on the roads, then stay off them until they plow. Mountain communities do a very good job of plowing as it's a full time activity. When Denver gets snow, the roads are a mess. When Conifer gets snow, we have a full time grater that generally has our roads plowed before I can get my driveway cleared. :D

If you decide to rent a car, IMO go with a Subaru Outback. Good in the snow, reasonable MPG, and plenty of room for three with bags. Remember guys, they are not hauling ski equipment as they don't ski! :wink:

Thanks so much for all your help I have decided to go to Columbus Ohio, God I hope they have snow. I found a place for free to stay in and I have a friend that said he would trade 2 airline tickets for a stay at Kawama's. So that would put me only buying one childs ticket. And I would have money for doing things that are fun. Am I making the right choice for a place with snow? My friend called and said they had snow fall just 1hour away from their house the other day. I wish I knew more about snow at this point in time.
So Columbus Ohio yes or no?
Becky

Ummmm, we haven't had much snow around Christmas in this area in a couple of years. Last year in January my flowers were almost 6 inches tall (I'm a little over an hour west of Columbus) the flowers were not happy when winter finally showed up in February. That may put you within fairly easy driving distance of seeing snow though, the towns on the east side of the lakes where the lake effect snows fall aren't terribly far from Columbus. What are your travel dates?
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom