Need Snow for Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speargirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was told to come here and post that you may be able to help me. I would like to take my two boys to see snow this year. The problem I am having is I can't find snow other than ski resorts any where. We have from Dec 15th till Jan 2nd and I would like to spend more than 3 days because two days will be flying in and out. All the resorts that I have called have said maybe snow if not they make it:11:. My boys want to know what snow feels like on their faces and they would like to play in it. We don't ski and don't want to learn so we son't need a ski resort plus it cost way to much.
Now to my question: Does anyone know where there will be snow during this time and is there any little Inns or a cabin, house. I would even be willing to stay in a tree fort at this point as long as it is warm.:rofl3:
If anyone can help me here I would be so grateful. All they wan tfor Christmas is to see what snow is like.

I can even offer a trade I have a townhouse in the Florida Keys that I rent out and would be willing to trade for a place to stay where there is snow for a couple of days no more than a week. I am on a budget so a mom and pop place would work really well also. Just needs to be warm and clean.
Thanks
Becky

This is one of the most beautiful places in the states for winter fun. Mammoth Mountain. Link home

Its in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. Opposite (East side of the mountains) of Yosemite. They have snow now and looks like they will get even more. Normally 8' - 12' in winter. Lots of condos, cabins and hotels. Down side is there are no direct flights.

If you want to fly in somewhere, try lake Tahoe.

I'm pretty sure that expert advice about Mammoth is in the Sierra Nevada Oysters discussion forum.:D Mammoth is a great place, though!

The Colorado high country is too.
If you are flying through Denver, you can make a short drive west on I-70 toward Loveland, Winter Park, Summit County, Breckenridge, Vail. You will inevitably run into snow along the drive!

You may be able to rent a cabin in Estes Park, which is in Rocky Mountain National Park, and close to Denver. The Park is famous for its huge elk herds, the views, and the quaint town of Estes Park.
Estes Park Colorado gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park

If you want to go to the most beautiful place in North America to see snow, fly into Calgary, Alberta, and drive through Banff to Lake Louise. The view of Temple Peak is unbelievable. Huge glaciers. Lots of snow. Tons of wildlife, etc.
Lake Louise Ski Resort, Banff, Canada Ski Packages and Vacations

Thanks so much I will check out flights and cost of our stay. I should rent a car right, for either place.
Becky

Not a car, a 4 wheel drive. Many times even though they are used to it roads and nature sometimes tell the plows to stuff it. My son got stuck in the Donner Pass coming back to monterey from thanksgiving. They had a 4matic mercedes benz. Piece of crap without chains. Try to get an SUV with 4 wheel drive you can shift yourself into. Alot of times auto 4 wheel is worthless because the tires have to already be spinning before it kicks in.

Depending were you are goin.... Flagg Ranch Resort - Home Page has nice little cabins for rent. you can already snowshoe back to mountain hotsprings for a backcountry soak. Tetons are a close beautiful site, and yellowstone is a vailable via snowmobile... just a thought.
Clay

I cant really provide advice for where in the US to go to find snow, but i can tell you this much..
If you want to experience snow, its a good call to NOT go to the resorts that "make snow". The artificial snow really doesnt have the same feel to it as natural snow does..
And good luck with your vacation, I hope you find a white christmas

I cant really provide advice for where in the US to go to find snow, but i can tell you this much..
If you want to experience snow, its a good call to NOT go to the resorts that "make snow". The artificial snow really doesnt have the same feel to it as natural snow does..
And good luck with your vacation, I hope you find a white christmas

Lmao Tigerman.... Manmade snow= ICE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom