NEED reg. OPINION.......pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPX28

Reaction score
Ok... What do you think of the Sherwood Maximus reg????

I currently have and 8 year old basic(back then) cheapee and would like to upgrade to a better one. I do a lot of beach dives in so CA. and to Catalina island once a year. I have seen them regularly for $350.00 and i can get one on sale for $219.00. Or is there something else i should look at in that price range????
Any opinions are appreciated

Oh yeah i also use a psc high press. tank (if that matters)

Aside from the fact that a sherwood yoke is stamped as 232 BAR rated (about 3300 psi) and I assume your tank runs at 3500 or more right. I would sugget the DIN version of the reg, but otherwise it is a good reg. It had its problems sorted out in a recall a couple of years ago but now its all good. In my opinion there are better regs in the price range but if you say that it is on sale I think that you will like the reg.

I would look at maybe getting a Mares Abyss. The prices on them have really dropped because they are discontinuing the model. I am picking one up later this week for $299 locally but I know that Liesure Pro will sell you one for $250. Anther plus (and 1 reason I am buying one) is that it can be converted to DIN.

Cap,
I have a Maximus and use hp tanks/Din fitting. For that price I would buy another in a heart beat. Very reliable, especially in cold water(I know) and service is relatively simple. Features I like are the underarm hose setup, the side exhaust, and most of all the adjustable second stage. Keep in mind I have always had Sherwood regs, so take this for what it's worth. An opinion. Many good regs out there, but not for that price.

Jetwrench:
Many good regs out there, but not for that price.

While the topic of price is up. My LDS sells the Maximus and the Apeks ATX50 for the same price. Although I will confess that serivceability is not quite as simple and widespread, it is not a problem. not to mention that when the two regs are pitched against one another, you know who wins.....

thanks for the input....
yes my tank works at 3500 but i usually keep the yoke in and runit with 3000, i am only 5-6 and the smaller tank size is what atracted me to the tank..Is DIN better???
Is it tooo advanced for beginner to intermediate diver, and is it worht switching to din to get the extra 500psi??

ALso i have heard a few people say they wouldnt trust a sherwood to anything below 70 feet. that they are strictly rec. regs. What do you think about that?? I usually dont go below 70 (as most are beach dives) but once i ayear in catalina i do. Any opinions?
Thank you in advance

CAPX28:
yes my tank works at 3500 but i usually keep the yoke in and runit with 3000, i am only 5-6 and the smaller tank size is what atracted me to the tank..Is DIN better???
In many peoples opinions it is a little easier to deal with because the thread is alot more sturdy and can handle thehigher pressure without having to worry if their reg is compatable. Also, not too many o-rings are lost in a fashion that you would loose a yoke o-ring

CAPX28:
Is it tooo advanced for beginner to intermediate diver, and is it worht switching to din to get the extra 500psi??
I would say that it is definetely worth the extra air, (longer dives duhhh!). And it is stupid to think that it is advanced. Just like when newer divers hear of nitrox, or split fins they fall back and say "that's too advanced for me". You gotta laugh at that.

CAPX28:
ALso i have heard a few people say they wouldnt trust a sherwood to anything below 70 feet.
I dove my blizzard to over 100 and barely noticed the difference. Further more the sherwood regs (except brut) are very rugged and tough regs. That is why they are constantly used in rental. I loved my blizzard and it wasn't even serviced for a couple years.
CAPX28:
that they are strictly rec. regs. What do you think about that??
I wouldn't use them for cave diving or anything like that but I don't think that they are your bottom of the line stuff by any means.
CAPX28:
I usually dont go below 70 (as most are beach dives) but once i ayear in catalina i do. Any opinions?
Thank you in advance
I wouldn't worry about what you hear. No matter what reg you have, there will always be someone sying that there is something better. Furthermore that reg that they say is better is usually the one they dive with. Otherwise why would they have bought it right?

THANK YOU ALL.... i decided to get the maximus for 219.00 They didnt have the din version so i just bought the yoke version to get the deal. An will take it back and switch to din when they get it. I appreciate all the Help

Ill let you know how it works for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom