Question Need recommendation on hoodless 7mm semi-dry wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked at it online but could not tell where it was manufactured. Not that it’s a big deal because practically everything is made in Asia.

What’s the coldest water temperature you’ve comfortably dived in with the W7?
It's made in Sweden and its built very well.

The only time I get a little chilly is when the water is below 45 or when its under 50 and I hit the 45 minute mark. Usually, I can mitigate that by moving around a little more. I don't think I would want to go too much colder than 45 though.

It's made in Sweden and its built very well.

The only time I get a little chilly is when the water is below 45 or when its under 50 and I hit the 45 minute mark. Usually, I can mitigate that by moving around a little more. I don't think I would want to go too much colder than 45 though.
I like what I’ve read about it and I like the built in pockets which would allow me to ditch my Apecks shorts.

What didn’t you like about the Bare?

I’m eventually going to get a dry suit if I’ll be diving in sub 50F water again, but for now I’ll stay with a traditional wetsuit for diving SoCal year round.
The semidry was for me just an uncomfortable suit all around that was very hard to get on and off compared to other semidrys that I have used.

The regular 7mm velocity that I have has had stitches come undone in multiple areas and has had a piece near the back zip come off from what looks like the way it was stitched. Im sure not all have such issues, but mine does. It is just about a year old and I have been meaning to send it in for warranty but it hasn't been a priority as even I it did get fixed, if I'm wearing a 7mm it's not going to be the velocity.

The semidry was for me just an uncomfortable suit all around that was very hard to get on and off compared to other semidrys that I have used.

The regular 7mm velocity that I have has had stitches come undone in multiple areas and has had a piece near the back zip come off from what looks like the way it was stitched. Im sure not all have such issues, but mine does. It is just about a year old and I have been meaning to send it in for warranty but it hasn't been a priority as even I it did get fixed, if I'm wearing a 7mm it's not going to be the velocity.
That’s some great feedback on the Bare Velocity. I’ll take that suit off the list.

The W7 has a better price point than the others. Did you find the sizing chart to be accurate?

I’m also in the market for a cold water wetsuit or semi dry wetsuit. Suits I’m researching are the Bare Velocity, Hollis Neotek, Scuba Pro Nova Scotia, and SD Combat. Freedom of movement and ease of donning and doffing is important to me. My last semi dry is an Excel from 2006. It served me well in Monterey as long as the water temperature was 50 or above but it was very restrictive and hard to get in and out of. I’m hoping a lot has changed in the last 16 years!

If anyone has personal experience with any of the suits I listed, please share your review.

Thanks!

You've got a mix of semi-dry and wetsuits there. I have worn none of them.

I have been using Bare Reactive suits for a few years. I think it is a better, warmer suit than the Velocity. My 2 Reactive suits have had no issues with stitching or anything else. My sense is that the new Gen2 Reactive suits are likely the warmest wetsuits on the market right now.

I have a Waterproof W7 5mm that I've been diving for a few months now. I think it seals better than the Reactive, but the material itself is not quite as good insulation, so overall maybe about the same warmth (as compared to my Gen1 Reactive suits). I mainly got the W7 for the pockets, which I love having. The neoprene in the W7 is WAY more stretchy than the neoprene Waterproof has used in their older wetsuits.

Sizing on the W7 is not what I'd call true to size. I'm 6'1" and about 250. From their size chart, I figured I would need a XXL. I wear XXL in my street clothes shirts. I got a XXL and it was way too big for me. The torso was about right, but the arms and legs were way too long and the wrist and ankle seals were way too big around my wrists and ankles. A customer happened to order a W7 in Large Plus from our shop. It came in and he tried it on and it was too big for him, so we ordered him another suit. I tried on the L+ and it fit me great, so that's what I'm using. The torso is tighter than it NEEDS to be, but it is still very comfortable on me. The arms and legs are the perfect length. But, for some reason, the wrist and ankle seals are still bigger than I think they should be - but they do work well and are comfortable.

I looked at getting myself a SD Combat. Everything I could learn about them made me think it would be a very heavy, stiff suit to don/doff and to wear. And they are really expensive. I think if I decided to get a warmer suit that was not a drysuit, I would get a W7 7mm - or a Reactive 7mm if I didn't require pockets (I don't like pocket shorts).

The Hollis Neotek gets a lot of good reviews around here and I don't think I've seen any really negative reports on it.

Thanks Derek!

I spoke to someone at JMJ yesterday to ask some questions and may go visit the store tomorrow.
You're very welcome!

You'll be in good hands at the shop - just let me know if I can help with anything else.

Best,
Derek

The Waterproof Combat SD:

1649605024281.png

I have one and it is a great suit. It is 7mm, and no attached hood. The seals work tremendously well and stay comfortably warm and relatively dry (from my knees up stay dry).

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom