need recommendation for dive operator and area for trip in nov/dec to florida keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariner11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi , I am looking into going for a few days of diving (Thursday/Friday/Saturday) to the keys in nov/dec to escape the winter. I think I would prefer smaller dive ops with smaller boat. I will be fresh off AOW and a few additional dives(also finished nitrox). SO for my experience level which area e.g. largo/islamorada/key west would be better as well as from a weather standpoint and also which dive ops are the best. Thanks.

I don't think you'll find any dive boats to be all that crowed that time of year outside of Thanksgiving week. I happen to like bigger boats in the winter since the wave action can be more intense than in the summer, though I've experienced some pretty calm conditions in November. The marine conditions will probably be pretty similar from Key Largo down to Key West. In you want a true six pack operator, then your ticket is Quiescence in Key Largo. I've been out with them a few times and they seem to be a good shop.

Conch Republic in Tavernier is my favorite shop because the folks that work there are great. They have a small Island Hopper but mostly use their big Newton 46 boat, which is really stable when the waves kick up. Even on Labor day weekend, the boats weren't too crowded. In fact I had several dives where there were only two to four of us on the boat (we used the smaller Island Hopper for those dives). I also did 3 dives with Silent World over the same weekend on their Island Hopper and it wasn't too crowded either. Last weekend a friend and I made six dives with Rainbow Reef: they have big Newtons but their boats were crowded as can be. They do have a nice staff and if you're looking for a free guide, they offer one (we didn't use guides). No other shop that I know of provides guides for free.

Key Largo and Islamorada are really good choices for newer divers. Lots of shallow reefs, a handful of deeper reefs and both shallow and deep wrecks.

Thanks for the info,Since I'm a newer diver I think Islamorada or key largo seem like good places, I read through some reviews and there is a dive op called sea monkeys out of islamorada that got some good reviews, does anybody have any thoughts on them?

---------- Post added September 24th, 2015 at 05:20 PM ----------

also in nov/dec what is the water temp like in the upper reefs ( key largo/islamorada) and generally what thickness wetsuit is enough if planning on doing 4 dives/day and perhaps a night dive as well.

Regarding water temps, wait until your trip gets closer to ask. I've experienced low 70's and high 70's that time of year, depending on the year. That's the difference between a 3MM wetsuit and something heavier for me.

I have been down to Key Largo several times. I have always dived with Quiessence. They have 6 paks. My wife and I always make reservations. They took us out on a day when we were the only divers. Key Largo has a number of nice dives that max out at about 30'. The coral is pretty good. The fish populations are very good. You need to be relatively self reliant because they do not put a dive master into the water.

Quiessence is a great 6 pack operation . There is the HMS minnow who is located at the Holiday Inn
in front of our boat , the Sea Dweller III , and he is also a 6 pack operator . John's phone number
is 305-451-7834 . I hope you have great dives !

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom