Need quick advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dan,

How do you enter water from a dive boat wearing freedive fins? And what is a Riffe custom foot pocket? Thank you in advance.
From any height dive platform, and this includes when wearing single or double tank..or when I freedive, I step outward like a giant stride, but halfway out I begin a body twist which has me landing with a back flop....freedive fins hit heel first, so no overflexing of the blades....
Prior to when I was shooting video and had to protect the camera on entrance to water from the fall, I would face the water on the platform like everyone else, and then i would dive in, head first, with chin down and holding my mask...with the right head angle the mask does not get much water impact, and after you do just a few of these, it should be flawless each time...the nice thing about this for freedivng, is that you can be 20 feet down in 2 seconds, with zero energy expenditure....If with single tank, it gets you to the bottom so fast it is next to impossible for me to miss a feature the boat just marked on the fathometer...and of course, you dive in with air sucked out completely from wing or bc, kicking as you hit water. 100 ft bottom in a few seconds if you desire.

The custom foot pocket is from the fact that the better freedive fins are all made in two pieces....there is the blade, and there is the foot pocket that the blade screws into, and is often glued as well with one of their high tech/space age glues made for this. Though many are screwed on only, and do not require any glue application.
Smart for a shop, because instead of having to stock complete fins for all foot sizes ( 5/6; 7/8; 8/9' 9/10/11-13 ), with the blades being the large part of the cost, now they just have to stock the much less expensive foot pockets in all sizes and then just have a few of the blades in each of the three stiffnesses common....very soft for ultra long duration dives ( 5 to 8 hours) or for brand new divers with weaker muscles and tendons); medium which is best for most divers, and the high performance stiffer models that are for much deeper drops freediving, or in my case, for comfortable high speed cruising while scuba or freediivng...if you ride a road bicycle at a competitive level, than this is the fin to go with....My stiff model DiveR freedive fins allow me to keep pace with 95 % of the scooter divers that we see in Florida. Well, actually this is not true...If they are using the blade or seadoo nonsense scooters, they will be going way to slow to dive with me :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom