Need quick advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SW88

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all,

Im just posting on this forum because i need some suggestions from people with experience.

In a few weeks im leaving with my university to spend 2 weeks studying fish and coral in the Caribbean, this will be mainly snorkelling, but i may freedive for the sake of photos. I've got all my gear sorted except for the fins.

Ive had some training by a local club and I've tried (excuse any lack of terminology) strapped (at the heal) fins and the rubbery sock-like ones.

Now i prefer the strapped fins as these tend to stay on my feet more as the rubbery ones fell off every now and then. However the strapped fins had a hard plastic top (bit above foot - pressure when kicking 'forward') and due to the shape of my feet this really hurt me after some use and i couldnt live with them for 2 weeks intensively.

Are there any designs that perhaps combine the two - a strap and a more flexible 'sock'? Or perhaps some fins that you think would suit me.

Im aiming for £50 but there is a BIT of flexibility there. Also not too big as they obviously need to be ok in the inside of a suitcase :)

Thank you!

I only know of one model of fin that has both a closed heel and a strap for additional security. It's the Turkish-made full-foot Jetfin-style Free Sub Super Jet:

SUPER-JET-DALGIC-PALETI_38_large.jpg

So far as I can determine, however, it's only available in Turkey itself. You still have options, however. One is to use a pair of triangular straps called "fin retainers", "fin grips" or "fixe-palmes" (they were invented in France in the early 1960s):

attachment.php

As you can see from the above picture, they are worn with full-foot fins over the heel, instep and arch and they can be used to make slightly over-sized full-foot fins more secure.

I love my full-foot fins and I wouldn't wear any other kind when I snorkel in the cold waters of the North Sea off the North East coast of England. I wear mine over my vintage-style drysuit, so I need a pair that is at least one size bigger than my normal foot size to accommodate the extra bulk. If you're contemplating snorkelling with your fins, you need to consider whether you're going to wear them with any kind of foot protection, whether socks or booties, because that must be factored in when you're trying on fins for size. Full-foot fins must be sized carefully and because feet are three-dimensional, you're going to have to check whether the foot pockets match your foot length, foot width and arch height. The reward is a pair of fins that fit neither too tightly (foot cramps!) nor too loosely (blisters, possible fin loss!) but just right, a snug fit. There is nothing like the comfort of a perfectly fitting full-foot fin, you almost forget you are wearing them, and I would never go back to open-heel strap fins when snorkelling anywhere. That's a personal choice, however, I dare say others will say the opposite, but fin selection is a very personal affair and nobody can do it for you. For that reason, I'm not going to recommend a particular make or model. Fins for snorkelling and freediving vary widely in the way they fit and the swimming styles and strengths they work best with. You have to be prepared to experiment and find out for yourself what suits you best. Borrow a number of pairs and see which you prefer and don't limit your purchasing to local dive stores that cater for scuba diving and for whom snorkelling and freediving are an afterthought. You can get perfectly serviceable snorkelling fins at a sporting goods or swimming goods store. Read what this Australian underwater photographer had to say about the expensive gimmicky fins at his local dive store and how he secured perfectly serviceable fins for US$ 30 at a sporting goods outlet:

http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/gear_features/334185/my_favourite_kit_pete_atkinson.html

Last edited:
The type of fines to buy differs from open heal and closed heel according to the type of diving you are making, the cost and the confirtability. you can mostly get the closed heels (Rubber on the heal and wearing without using boots or socks) if you are diving/snorking moslty from boats, floating jetty things of that sort. Which means that it doesn't require walking on rocks, stones, ...etc. The open heel fins (had a strap around the heel and must wear it with boots or socks) these ones are required if you do mostly shore diving. so the entry and exit points are in different environement.
Of course the open heals are more expensive than the closed heals since it requires boots or socks. if you like free diving I recommend this fines for you
Details.asp

It seems then both of you are recommending the full-foot closed heel type fins then. I do have some socks but im guessing i wont need them if i go for those. Do you have any suggestions on the fins themselves such as shape etc.? If you could point me in the direction of some good brands that would help a lot :)

I have as rental sets of fins the Seac Sub Kalibra. They have the advantages of a full foot fin in that you don't need to wear booties for them to be comfortable, but also the advantages of the open heel fin in that they are adjustable. People seem to like them.

Hello all,

Im just posting on this forum because i need some suggestions from people with experience.

In a few weeks im leaving with my university to spend 2 weeks studying fish and coral in the Caribbean, this will be mainly snorkelling, but i may freedive for the sake of photos. I've got all my gear sorted except for the fins.

Ive had some training by a local club and I've tried (excuse any lack of terminology) strapped (at the heal) fins and the rubbery sock-like ones.

Now i prefer the strapped fins as these tend to stay on my feet more as the rubbery ones fell off every now and then. However the strapped fins had a hard plastic top (bit above foot - pressure when kicking 'forward') and due to the shape of my feet this really hurt me after some use and i couldnt live with them for 2 weeks intensively.

Are there any designs that perhaps combine the two - a strap and a more flexible 'sock'? Or perhaps some fins that you think would suit me.

Im aiming for £50 but there is a BIT of flexibility there. Also not too big as they obviously need to be ok in the inside of a suitcase :)

Thank you!

If the full foot fin you had one was made with any quality AT ALL, and was sized to fit you properly, then you would not have had the problem you complained of--they should have fit more like running shoes.

One problem is the whole concept of the cheap crappy snorkeling fins, which really should not be sold to anyone. They cost little, and are worth nothing.
For what you will be doing, and for the years to come, Cressi 3000 LD ( long duration) freedive fins will be a much better choice. They are far more efficient than scuba fins, clearly they are intended for snorkeling and freediving, and will also be superior for scuba diving.
They use euro sizing (eg. 43-43; 39-40; etc) and you use a neoprene sock with them, ideally a 2 to 3.5 mm thickness. If you get a sock that is much thinner, you run the risk of chaffing the skin on your toes. You can actually wear a pair of white athletic socks, and these will usually work almost as well as neoprene socks....And I know some people who will wear some running socks under a thing pair of neoprene socks. You want to end up with a operfect fit, much like with running shoes--this way you have optimal power transfer from your legs to the fins.
You use a slow frequency, large amplitude kick with these, that allows you to move much faster than normal fins, at a much lower heart rate--so you can do better with underwater breath hold swiming....drops.

Try Cressi Gara 3000 LD Fins, Grey
or if you dont like leisurepro . Amazon.com: Cressi Men's Gara 3000 LD Long Distane Long Blade Diving Fins: Sports & Outdoors

I note that you're UK based, like myself, so you may have less of a choice when it comes to fins than anybody States-side. I'm a lifelong snorkeller who neither scuba-dives nor free-dives, but I'm not going to recommend a particular type or model of fins that suits me but may not match your criteria.

On the subject of full-foot fins, contrary to the opinion of habitual open-heel fin users, they can be worn with socks or even booties, as demonstrated in the image in my previous posting. If you're considering full-foots, you just have to make sure that you try any fins for size over such footwear at the point of purchase. And remember what I said about size variability among different models of fin. You haven't told us whether you have broad or narrow feet, a high or a low arch, or what your foot length is. Some fins come with narrow foot pockets which will cause cramping even if your fins are sized correctly for foot length. So forget about brands and models for the moment and concentrate on finding a pair that fits your feet and nobody else's. If I were you, I'd explore your locality, seeing what's available at your local dive store, sporting goods outlet, swimming gear retailer. You may even be fortunate enough to have a snorkelling or freediving supplier. You don't have to spend a lot of money in the process.

Thanks for the responses there guys, lots of good advice :)

As for the foot info dave, im a size 10-11 UK size shoe, and i have a fairly wide foot with a fairly tall arch.

I have come over to the idea of the full foot fins as after looking at the suggestions they do seem more like what im after

Those fins danvolker suggested, the cressi 3000 LDs, despite being a tad expensive, do look good (i will try to find some to try as reviews say they are for normal/narrow feet), but how eeasy are they to transport as they look very long indeed

Thanks

Thanks for the responses there guys, lots of good advice :)

As for the foot info dave, im a size 10-11 UK size shoe, and i have a fairly wide foot with a fairly tall arch.

I have come over to the idea of the full foot fins as after looking at the suggestions they do seem more like what im after

Those fins danvolker suggested, the cressi 3000 LDs, despite being a tad expensive, do look good (i will try to find some to try as reviews say they are for normal/narrow feet), but how eeasy are they to transport as they look very long indeed

Thanks

A good Freedive shop will sell fins like the Cressis, riffes, and DiveR freedive fins with CUSTOM foot pockets..the blades are sold separately. My DiveR composite blade freedive fins have a custom Riffe foot pocket... the custom foot pocket costs essentially nothing extra..maybe $10. Do a search in an area near you where there are freedivers, for a shop. If not, it is not rocket science to buy the pocket, and to buy the blades. There are instructions, it is easy.

I have traveled all over the Caribean and as far as Fiji with my freediving fins. One option is putting them in a large suitcase with your clothes--the biggest legal sized suitcase will allow them to fit diagonally, if memory serves....What I did though was to buy the gear bag by Rob Allen, which is for freedivers.....it has the length for the fins on the sides, and storage for bc or BP/Wing reg, and more inside if needed. If you are only snorkel/freediving, one of these bags would hold all of your diving gear, and likely all the land clothing you would need as well.

I could not find a picture of the rob allen bag, which I thought was the best, but here are some other good ones:

Hi Dan,

How do you enter water from a dive boat wearing freedive fins? And what is a Riffe custom foot pocket? Thank you in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom