Need opinions on upcoming purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

OK, I've been spending lots of $$$ trying out different rental gear/borrowed gear, and I'm ready to buy my own gear. Here's what's on my list, as recommended by my LDS and DM/BF:

Zeagle ZX-DSV 1st & 2nd stages
Zeagle Envoy Octo
Zeagle Ranger BCD
Sherwood console with depth & pressure guages & compass

I'm also looking at:
Sherwood Wisdom computer (still debating whether to get the quick-disconnect or not)

I had the opportunity to try a Zeagle back-inflate for 6 dives and I liked it a lot, though it took some getting used to at first. Getting back into a regular jacket style rental was my selling point (don't like those anymore -- esp. having to wear a weight belt). The rental regs I tried (Oceanic & Sherwood) didn't make the cut at depth. I know they weren't top-of-the-line, being rentals, but the experience definitely made me decide to get a balanced system! Borrowed a Zeagle ZX-DSIV this weekend, and what a big difference at 95 ft!

I've heard Zeagle has a good warranty. But then again, doesn't Apeks have an even better parts/service warranty? I've been told Apeks and Zeagle are practically interchangeable. And I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the ZX-Flathead VI, what is the diff between it and the ZX-DSV, besides price and one less lp port?

A bit about where I dive: St. Lawrence river, fresh (and cold) water, mostly wrecks, have my AOW and will be doing deep & wreck courses in the future. Might even try ice diving this winter, on top of the mandatory Caribbean winter vacation.

Any comments on this gear configuration?

TIA

I too like the back inflate BCs (I dive the Black Diamond) although I don't know anything about the Zeagle.

If you are on the fence for regs, I'd push you over to the Apeks side. I use the ATX50 with the DS4 1'st stage and I recommend it highly. Again, I have no personal experience with the Zeagle but Apeks makes a solid, quality product. Also you may want that extra LP port. Do you dive dry? Do you plan on it?

Quick disconnects are the devil's work, stay away :wink:

Oh, and I'll be the first to throw this in. Have you considered using a BP/W setup?

Nooo, not the BP/W thread hijack. Let's not go there. For now. :)

I've been told the quick disconnects have their good and bad points, bad being that if you get any dirt in the connector, you're screwed. That's why I'm still on the fence. All this is going to cost me a lot anyway, don't want it to break too soon!

I'll probably end up diving dry sooner or later, so it'll be nice to have the extra port already there.

When I used an air integrated computer, I liked the quick-disconnect. I liked being able to take my computer off and sit on the couch with it back home and log my dives. I never had any problems with it personally...one of my friends was contstantly replacing his o-rings in his though (Scubapro...). I eventually switched to a wrist computer and an SPG as I didn't like the big console.

But the quick disconnects are handy...it was nice to be able to keep the computer from all the gear banging around in my gear bag.

I have the Zeagle ZX-DSV 1st & 2nd stages and Zeagle Envoy Octo. Works great in 42 degree F water at 120 ft. I suggest you check Zeagle's web site www.zeagle.com for warranty questions, rather than asking here. As for the compass, I would suggest the Suunto Sk7 if you have any kind of need for maginification since it has the largest numbers on the market. Also, the Sk7 has the steepest operational angle (tilt) I have seen or heard of.

Back inflate is awesome. Glad you like it.

Take a look at the Suunto computers, too, before getting a Sherwood. The Suuntos (all models have bascially the same software and algorithm, so model is a matter of style and comfort--Mosquito, Stinger, Cobra, Gekko, etc.) are the easiest to set up, change settings, and use both on shore and in the water, and have very intuitive menus--you'll only read the manual once.

All your other choices are top-notch.

theskull

CUunderH2O:
Hi all,

I'm also looking at:
Sherwood Wisdom computer (still debating whether to get the quick-disconnect or not)

TIA

I strongly suggested you to get quick disconnect for Sherwood Wisdom. I own Sherwood Wisdom with compass and quick disconnect. They are very expensive item, you would wanted to disconnect it easily and carry it with you. Another good thing about QD is you can log in your book without drag all those first stage and second stage. That is a quite hassle! Quick Disconnect will make your life easier!!!

Actually the reason I wanted the get the Sherwood wisdom is that it's very similar to the Oceanic Pro Plus 2, except a bit cheaper, and they both have big numbers on their displays. I haven't seen other computers that compare to these in that respect. I will probably get the quick disconnect, it's nice to be able to just take the computer off and download the info onto a computer.

Thanks for your comments, I've now pretty much confirmed everything I'd heard about this gear.

OK, I'm going for all of it tonight. My credit card company is going to love this!

CUunderH2O:
I've heard Zeagle has a good warranty. But then again, doesn't Apeks have an even better parts/service warranty? I've been told Apeks and Zeagle are practically interchangeable. And I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the ZX-Flathead VI, what is the diff between it and the ZX-DSV, besides price and one less lp port?

In the US, Apeks are exclusively distributed by Aqualung. Zeagle operates more independantly. Zeagle also now allows internet sales and price advertising by it's authorized dealers, which at least makes the cost more competitive. Between the two, I would expect Zeagle to be the first to offer repair and service parts outside of their dealer network. I have Zeagle equipment purchased outside of normal authorized channels that the Zeagle factory stood behind for repairs, free of charge, no questions asked. I don't know if you would get the same out of Aqualung. With Zeagle it's almost like an old fashioned pride in their product. As far as the extra LP ports, what are they for? I can't see a need for more than 4.

CUunderH2O:
OK, I'm going for all of it tonight. My credit card company is going to love this!
Great news. Enjoy your new toys and go dive. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom