Need new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own the Mares Volo Power, Quattro Plus, and a pair of F2's. Volos were my first but wanted a light travel fin so I bought the F2's, they are great for the reef and making tight turns for photography or video but suffer in surge or current. I then bought the Quattro plus and really like the stiffer fin and that they work great for current and surge. I only dive warm water with an AL80 or steel 100, so I don't have experience with drysuit or doubles/sidemount. I sent the Quattro's back for replacement, one of the bungees was coming loose on the post and the fin popped off on me twice at depth. My volos had the spring strap like the F2's, which I prefer over the bungee. The fins are al size XL and I wear a warm water Aqua Lung Polynesian shoe (3 mm) and the foot pocket is fine for my foot. The Hollis may be slightly larger than the Mares, but not enough to feel sloppy when diving. I would do the Quattro's again with out any thought, but put the spring strap on them and ditch the bungee. Plus, I like the color selection, mine are white.

My experience mirrors yours, in calm waters they were fine but once hit current I found they sucked, F2s that is, I found the similarly sized/weighted Aeris Accels much better.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2015 at 09:57 PM ----------

I own the Mares Volo Power, Quattro Plus, and a pair of F2's. Volos were my first but wanted a light travel fin so I bought the F2's, they are great for the reef and making tight turns for photography or video but suffer in surge or current. I then bought the Quattro plus and really like the stiffer fin and that they work great for current and surge. I only dive warm water with an AL80 or steel 100, so I don't have experience with drysuit or doubles/sidemount. I sent the Quattro's back for replacement, one of the bungees was coming loose on the post and the fin popped off on me twice at depth. My volos had the spring strap like the F2's, which I prefer over the bungee. The fins are al size XL and I wear a warm water Aqua Lung Polynesian shoe (3 mm) and the foot pocket is fine for my foot. The Hollis may be slightly larger than the Mares, but not enough to feel sloppy when diving. I would do the Quattro's again with out any thought, but put the spring strap on them and ditch the bungee. Plus, I like the color selection, mine are white.

Be careful if using spring straps with steel buckles as they have a tendency to cut/bite into the post.

This sure comes up a lot.

The 2015 review isn't as thorough as the 2014, but it includes some favorites that were foolishly omitted in years passed: SCUBALAB 2015: Dive Fin Review | Scuba Diving

My .02 - flutter kicking? Avanti Quattro/+. Frog kicking (like you should)? Diverite or avanti Quattro(not "plus")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom