Need mask to go over glasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an astigmatism and require glasses for distance but still need bifocals for up close (the result of Radial Keratotamy after 14 years - I used to only be nearsighted). Anyway I wrestled with this issue until finally getting a mask from PrescriptionDiveMasks.com. They got me an outstanding mask with perfect lenses (both for distance and up close). They can add prescription lenses to practically any mask you send them or you can order a mask from them with lenses installed (as I did). They gave me a great quality product in less than 10 business days the week prior to Christmas last year. Oh, and that was shipping to Canada from the US.

I'm extremely satisfied with their product and their service and highly recommend them.

This is too late for the OP, but there are a lot of eyeglass places that will provide an exam, and fit one with contacts on the spot (as WebMonkey indicated). Some names are:

America's best contacts and eyeglasses.
Costco
Lenscrafters
Perl vision center
Sears
Wallmart

I'm sure there are many more. Masks can also be fitted with prescription lenses, and some dive shops can do so on the spot.

If one is comfortable wearing contacts, than IMO that is the way to go, but to each their own, and I have a couple friends that dive prescription masks. The only downside to that you have to put on the mask before the dive which may result in walking across parking lots and such for shore entires wearing the mask so you can see.

Another downside is that if you loose a mask, you better have a backup, or your diving is done. One will not be able to just borrow a mask, and move on.

Where I live you can rent a general correction mask. My eyes aren't equally disadvantaged at all but it worked great for me. Just try out the options and figure for distance correction, you're not gonna see much close up snorkeling as could diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom