Need mask help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the info guys, i tried the lighter trick and it seems that may have made a difference but it might just be head games though. Only one way to find out!

I always use a lighter to clean my masks, only ever now use spit and never have fogging issues in any temperatures.

Question for you, how long did you scub the inside of your mask? I tell all my students to scrub for 15 minutes. That seems to be the magic number, anything less than that and their masks are foggin up within about 2 minutes in the pool.
Plus, of course, as mentioned, every time you put your mask on you have to defog it. I have always used saliva. Works great and it's free.

When is the mask fogging? If it happens as soon as you get in try cooling your face with a handful of the water you will be going into before you put the mask on after defogging it. this helps to reduce the temperature difference. It works on ice dives for me.
As indicated by Jim, you may want to think about temperature issues. My 20 year old mask only fogs under 1 condition: if I put it on too soon before jumping into 82 degree Caribbean water. It took a while to figure out the pattern. Once I did, I thought it was temperature difference related. My wife has the same problem.

No problems anymore.

The mask is 20 years old and has seen a lot of spit.

i'm hedging more towards the breathing out the nose a bit too much
it's kinda a new diver thing that takes a bit of thought to become a habit
it's just natural to want to exhale out of your nose!
i tell my students to pretend they have a beak full of boogers...
have fun
yaeg

The 'lighter' trick? Now, I was told that when that is done, it can change the 'tempered' glass to 'untempered'. Anyone know if this is, indeed, true?

I read it takes temps of 600* C. (628* Industry standard) to temper glass. The flame on a BIC lighter is reported to reach temps of 600 - 800* C. So I guess if you hold it on there long enough it may anneal the glass!
see you topside! John

My ScubaPro frameless mask does this to me a ton. I'm getting pretty tired of it, goin to buy a different mask soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm thinking maybe somehow I am breathing out of my nose on a subconscious level. I do remember small amounts if air leaving my mask. But I don't recall breathing out of my nose

I would say this is what is causing the majority of your problem... Why? Because I was guilty of it too :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom