Need Local Camera Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have successfully sold my camera (whee!!!)

i have also asked the other SB people what they thought in a toss-up between an olympus and a canon - canon won

so that being said: what's a good model (not tooooo expensive but at least 5mp w/ a ccd chip) and how much is it

where can i find it? any gray market deals to be had? (e.g. greenhills, quiapo, etc.)

what about housing? where, how much, etc.)

tanks

Jag

I have the Canon S70, love it, no problems, had great results right out of the box.

7.1 megapixels, I think I paid around $400 last march for it. It should be less expensive now with the S80 being released.

The Canon housing cost around $180, Sea and Sea YS25Strobe and strobe arm for about $350.

The a610 and the a620 are the newest of the Canon point & Shoot. I have the 620 with is a 7mp camera. The 610 is a 5mp version. The biggest difference between these two and Canons previous models of P&S is that these have the speed of an SLR. They do everything quicker. From camera off, I can have a picrtuyre taken in under three seconds for sure, closer to two seconds, I'd guess. I don't know what they'd cost here but retail (who pays that?) in the US for the 620 is $400 and a bit over $300 for the 610. I paid $305 for mine with a now expired Dell offer. Housing ran another $170 but can probably be gotten cheaper.

Halthron:
The a610 and the a620 are the newest of the Canon point & Shoot. I have the 620 with is a 7mp camera. The 610 is a 5mp version. The biggest difference between these two and Canons previous models of P&S is that these have the speed of an SLR. They do everything quicker. From camera off, I can have a picrtuyre taken in under three seconds for sure, closer to two seconds, I'd guess. I don't know what they'd cost here but retail (who pays that?) in the US for the 620 is $400 and a bit over $300 for the 610. I paid $305 for mine with a now expired Dell offer. Housing ran another $170 but can probably be gotten cheaper.
@halthron: have you gotten your set-up wet? Post some pics, I'd like to see em.

@jag: if you're thinking of maybe using add-on lenses later on, consider another cam. There has been no plans to make adapters for the a610/a620 housing. Ikelite is going to release a housing hopefully by January (according to the grapevine) but you know their housing is pricey.

Shugar,
Here's a review from Scubadiving magazine on the Canon SD500, http://www.scubadiving.com/photography/gear/image_makers/2/
Make sure you dont get the Powershot G series, G3 or G5, because it doesn't have an UW housing. Ikelite does, but it cost around $700.
Anyway, good luck on your camera search.

midwestdvr:
@halthron: have you gotten your set-up wet? Post some pics, I'd like to see em.
Yes but they weren't good. I haven't been taking it recently because of my sinus problems, I wanted to avoi task loading. Now that those problems seem to have cleared up, I'll be taking it with me again. I need the pratice.

jonix:
if you're going for a canon text me the model maybe i can get a good deal from my friend
pm me or text me (or email what the hey) what your friend has... especially if he accepts credit cards :wink: i'd like to go through his offerings - ok lang older model as long as there are housing options and is at least 5 megapix

it's primarily for imee's business so unless it's a super-sweet deal the purchase will be cam 1st, housing 2nd

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom