Need Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am hoping you guys can help me out. It looks like I am going to have achance to go to southern california for free. I will be somewhere near El Centro, do you guys know if the diving is good, any dive shops that you would recommend, suit thickness? Thanks for all your help.

Danny

Believe it or not, I have actually been there. Flew in for the day on business on a plane so small, the pilot moved us around to redistribute our weight more appropriately. Your closest ocean/dive spot will be out of San Diego. Suit thickness? Think 7 mil, hood, and gloves. See www.divebums.com - there is a section with advice for visitors.

El Centro

thats about the farthest place south in California you can get.

Even SD is not a close drive for that area, even though its your best bet for good diving.

Andy

I think it's about 2 hours, a straight shot on I-8. The only place further south there is Calexico, on the border. Would Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) be closer?

As in (from and West - East perspective) the center of the state. I hope you have time for the drive ....and does anyone know, will he go through any passes with altitude...or is it all desert?

Otter

I looked it up on the map and its still about 80 - 100 miles from SD. yeah it is on I-8.

There has got to be a closer dive site than SD.

Andy

El Centro CA is at 40 Feet elevation. Driving to La Jolla Cove CA, which has some excellent diving is a drive of 123 miles by road and will take you through an elevation of about 1,300 feet (you need to do your own map reconsinance and verify this. I do not guarentee the altitude to be accurate or correct.). www.tropozone.com will allow you to take the drive by tropo map and check the elevations.

Do be mindful of the elevation if you have to go back to El Centro to fly out (San Diego airport is better). I will tell you from experience that 1,400 ft is enough to hurt if you get bit by DCS.:eek:

Driving to El Golfo de Santa Clara is a drive of 111 miles into Baja Mexico and I have no idea as to what is there or if there is diving.

Bottom line, El Centro is right smak dab in the middle of po dunk no where near any where. But a quite place to be.

Best advise is to contact the San Diego Webiste mentioned in a previous post.

You can call and check dive condition in San Diego at San Diego Beach and Water Report (619) 221-8824, LaJolla Cove Life Guard Station (619) 221-8899

Enjoy your trip and remember, where ever you go, there you are. :auto:

that it is near Holtville, carrot capital of the world?

:wink:

Geronimo, your rental car company probably won't permit you to take their property over the border. Think San Diego.

If you need this info still...
El Centro is about 2 hrs from San Diego and your drive on I-8 will take you through a pass about 4,000 ft. There is no dive shop in the valley as we all just go to SD for shops. I would love one here, but our valley demographics don't support one. I live in Holtville. Avoid it at all costs...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom