Need info on St. Pete/Clearwater area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsouthdiver

Registered
Reaction score
We will be in St.Pete the last week of July in time for the mini season. I have dove the middle grounds from there one time before but I would like to know is there somewhere closer to shore preferably in shallower water a few beginner free divers could catch a lobster and spear a few fish even if it’s lion fish?

thanks

We will be in St.Pete the last week of July in time for the mini season. I have dove the middle grounds from there one time before but I would like to know is there somewhere closer to shore preferably in shallower water a few beginner free divers could catch a lobster and spear a few fish even if it’s lion fish?

thanks
Highly doubtful on the lobster and lionfish for beginner free divers. Lionfish tend to be fairly deep around here, and lobster are just not that plentiful in the area.

What’s shallow? There are artificial reefs in anywhere from 25-60’ or deeper. There are some inshore reefs as well, but the vis is usually not that great for diving.

When you say "we will be in St. Pete," how many people are you talking about? It is possible to arrange a private free diving charter out of Clearwater, but the pricing assumes you'll have six passengers. It is also possible to arrange to have a free diving instructor or a spearfishing guide aboard the boat for an extra fee. Send me a message if you're interested.

BTW, everything Belzebub said is true. On shallow dives here, your beginners will be shooting at grunts, porgies, and an occasional mangrove snapper in limited visibility. You might have a better time buying seats on a spearfish trip and getting dropped on bigger fish in deeper water with better vis.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom