Need info from the NE folks......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckedinri:
Apologies for the thread hijack, but if I may ask, where did you hear that Capt. Palmer and the Thunderfish will be based in Mystic in 07? Was it a reliable source? He has been at PJ in RI "forever". There haven't been any changes to his vessel's location on his website yet.

Yes the thunerfish will be in mystic this year. I spoke with Capt Palmer and he said that it was true. I have my own boat and i have to admit capt Palmer runs a realy good chater. Ive been diving long island sound a for many years and if you know when and where to dive it can be very rewarding. The thunder fish is planing to dive the Voland, Onondaga, Larchmont, Metis, Olinda, lake crystal, thumper, and some unknow wrecks. Newengland dive center has booked his boat for the hole sumer of 2007. Give Paul, Pat , or Greg a call they will give you all the inpho.

TexasZR2:
Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Pete, I will be working in Bristol. My company is in the process of starting a plant in the vacated General Motors building there. I'm not sure where I will end up living, but am looking at Waterbury and places south and west.

2' of vis in the summer? WOW! I'm thinking I need to budget for more trips to FL and the Carib......

Dave - I will look you up when I get up there. Spearfishing is definetly in the future and I look forward to some of the easier wrecks. I'll have to start looking at the fishing regs for up there.

Thanks again for the responses guys. I look forward to meeting some of y'all.

If I remember right, the GM plant was BIG. What is the name of your company?

michaelp68:
Welcome to Connecticut.

If you plan to be working in Bristol, there are a number of good areas you could live in. You mentioned Waterbury. Hmmmm. Drop me a pm.

PM sent.

Diver Dude:
If I remember right, the GM plant was BIG. What is the name of your company?

PM sent.

Someone has to say it..... And tact not being one of my stronger points.... STAY OUT OF WATERBURY!

Pat and Paul at New England Dive in Wallingford have Bill Palmer booked for Saturday charters all summer (check their website www.nedive.com), Bill is a character. If you read Shadow Divers you will see Bill provided great insight to the discovey of just what uboat the writers had found. My husband and I moved to New York a few years ago and still use NE Dive as our LDS.
In addition to Jamestown and Brownstone Quarry a great morning or night dive is Stonington Harbor. I would recomend buying a dry suit!
As a former Real Estate agent in Connecticut for over 20 years, I would look for a house in Southington, Cheshire or Wallingford. Nice towns and you can get to the GM plant fairly quickly from there. If you need an agent who can help PM for more info.
Good luck with your move and new job!! Enjoy New England.

Just do yourself a favor and go straight to Cape Ann. I have lived in New England all my life, and been diving since '79. I grew up on the sound, dove quaries...blah ....blah...blah...Cape Ann is still the best, bar none!

TexasZR2:
Well, it looks like I will have to change my screen name from TexasZR2 to ConnZR2. I will be relocating to the Bristol, CT area sometime around May and am seeking advice on the area.

Hey Matt, welcome to cold water!

You'll be arriving just in time to spear some flounder in Cape Ann, MA. And probably several species of fish in Rhode Island!

TexasZR2:
1. What exposure suits do most of y'all (no, I won't stop saying "y'all") wear during the summer? I assume most people dive dry during the winter. I don't have a dry suit, but I'm sure it will get put on the list pretty quick.

Even in summer, you'll find pretty cold water in the ocean off Massachusetts, 45 to 60 degrees. I prefer long dives and I like to be warm, so I only dive dry. Plus, I like to dive year-round.

TexasZR2:
2. What are some of the more popular spots to dive? What will the conditions be during the summer months?

I'm biased in favor of the excellent shore diving on Cape Ann, MA, but I've never dived Rhode Island or Connecticut waters, so I can't compare them.

I've fished those waters, though, and the vis is much better in Cape Ann! :)

I'd like to try some Rhode Island sites sometime. Heard good things about diving at Fort Wetherhill.

Cape Ann will often better vis from what gets reported in CT and RI. Cape Ann shore dive vis will typically be 20-30', but occasionally 30-50'. I measured 75' vis once on a late spring day.

I'm 125 miles from Cape Ann, and, to me, it's well-worth the 2 1/2-hour drive for a long day of good diving.

Checking the maps, Bristol, CT, is 155 miles, 3 hours, from Rockport, in Cape Ann. That would be pushing it for me, since I like to spend a lot of time in the water. I don't mind 14-hour dive days, but....

An alternative, for you, would be to cut 30 minutes off the drive by taking a charter out of Salem or Danvers to some of the islands in Massachusetts Bay, as was mentioned.

Some of the islands have pretty impressive drop-offs and marine life.

I'm not affiliated with this dive shop, but they've got a good link describing Cape Ann shore dive sites:

http://www.capeanndivers.com/findadivesite.htm

And charters to off-shore dive sites:

http://www.capeanndivers.com/scubacharters.htm

By the way, if you're into camping and diving, here's a good campground on Cape Ann:

http://www.cape-ann.com/campsite/

Might be a good way to do a weekend dive trip. I've stayed there many times and it's an excellent facility.

TexasZR2:
3. I have my own AL80s and carry a 19cf pony for backup. Is this enough gas supply for most of the sites, or do I need to step up to an HP100 or bigger? I don't know my SAC, but I would rate my consumption as "average". I'm not the first up on boat dives, but definetly not the last either. Doubles are not in consideration at this time.

Cape Ann has several shore dive sites where 50 to 80' depths are reachable fairly quickly. Popular islands to dive in Massachusetts Bay will often have 70 to 100' depths around them.

I always dive a HP steel 120 and AL30 pony, but that's just me. I like long dives. Your AL80 and 19 cf pony will be fine for most dives around that area.

TexasZR2:
4. Any LDS in the CT area that people talk highly of?

5. First round is on me when I finally get up there and can meet some of you folks.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

Glad to help. You can look me up anytime to dive Cape Ann or for advice on where to go.

Good luck on your move up north.

Dave C

Dennis it is true. I only know because he is going to be in the berth right next to a friend of mine.

Sorry I posted this out of place. It should have been a reply to secret squirrel

Welcome to the neighborhood. I grew up in Bristol and lived there till I moved away for college 5 years ago. I'm living there right now, but relocating to Washington before you arrive.

Anyway, as far as a dive shop, I cannot say enough good things about Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill. The past owner lent me his personal high-end reg (not some rental) while mine was backordered. When my Halcyon wing started fraying, they made it right, no questions asked. They're DIR-friendly if that's what you're into, but no worries if you're not - they won't push the Kool-Aid.

A closer shop is Jack's Dive Center, in Plainville.

We're less than 2 hours from some awesome dive sites in RI - King's Beach, Beavertail, Fort Wetherill... Also, southern Maine is worth a look while you're in the area - only 200 miles, but I'm biased as that's where I went to school.

Anyway, best of luck in your move! I hope you like it around here. Maybe we can get a dive in sometime.

-Anthony

Back
Top Bottom