Need Info and Advice for US Divers UDS-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ltstanfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello,

Of all strange things... I have come across an old UDS-1 at a local pawn shop and I am very interested in purchasing it. A quick check of the tanks reveals that they are AL (the "bad" alloy that everyone always talks about) and were only hydro'd in 7/75. Visually the shell and internals appear to be in very good condition with some greenish corrosion on the hose connectors. There does not appear to be any air in the tanks. Everything appears complete and the SPG is clear with no scratches on the face. The regulator (2nd stage) seems good but also has a bit of green corrosion at the hose connection point.

Am I correct that the manifold is also aluminum (anodized)?

What should I look for (damage / concern) before I buy this? I know everything is a risk prior to passing a hydro but this may just be too good to pass on. :)

Thanks in advance,
Ltstanfo

Move over to the "sea hunt era" board. Look under "General".
Yes, the manifold is aluminum. What to "look out for"? I have no idea. I've never heard of any bugs in the system. I've never heard of a failure of a UDS cylinder. It may cost you extra to have it hydro tested because of the unusual neck thread size. The balance underwater is a little awkward. The hp hose is 3/8 thread. The gauge is aluminum and may freeze in place. The hose is shorter than normal and will have to be special ordered. The USD second stage might need overhaul. It's a piece of vintage equipment. Love it or leave it.

The expert on these hangs out at www.vintagescubasupply.com . He is a Cousteu expert and even sells a modern version of the system at www.flashbackscuba.com .

His name is Ryan Spence. He dives these sets and has much information on them and has even been let loose to roam free in the Cousteu warehouse so he can measure and study all of these equipments. He should be able to give you all the info. I say buy the thing if the price is reasonable and you can always sell it to a collector/user of vintage gear---which is what this is thus saving it from a the junk yard. At VSS go to the tab for community and that will get you to the forum. N

At www.vintagescubasupply.com you will find several threads talking about the UDS-1. John Ratliff (also a member of this message board, AKA: SeaRat at VSS) has posted a lot of information about it. John dives one regularly.

Ryan is also very knowledgeable about it, but this unit is only related to Cousteau’s equipment in its superficial looks. US Divers tried to capitalize on the looks of Cousteau’s “Hydrodynamic Pack”, but the only true similarity is the color.

Back
Top Bottom