Need honest opinions. Hero 3 black vs Hero 3 white

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just what the title says. I am not looking to shoot professional videos. Just want something to video students in pool and OW and some fun stuff for me. The White is 199.00 on amazon, the Black is 329.00
Justify to me the price difference for my intended useage.
And have seen some notations regarding certain SD cards not working well in them. Observations on that.

Frankly I think a HERO or HERO 2 will work for me. But can't seem to find one new. Looking on ebay but nothing tickles my fancy so far.

No real rush and definitely going to see what I can come up with at DEMA as far as a deal.

Mostly want the pros and cons on stated items. Thanks, Jim

Consider the GoPro Hero 3 Silver. It is only $249.99 here on SB in Hot Deals so you will be supporting a fellow SB Business Sponsor. We will throw in a remote ( $80 value ) & a 32g SD card. Checkout the specs on Scubapro, Subgear, Beaver Divers,

GoPro will be doing 25% off their current prices on the 1st of October, on both the Silver and Black editions.

So $247 for the Black and $187 for the Silver. If you can wait till then.

I'm sure its all todo with the upcoming Hero4 updates.

The fundamental difference between the Black and the White is the imaging sensor. The Black has a 12MP sensor, the White 5MP. Most $200 p/s still cameras currently have 12-14MP sensors for comparison. So for stills or frame grabs from video, the Black will yield a much better image. Or if you plan to review footage shot on it on an HDTV, you might notice a slight quality difference. It also has the ability to shoot higher resolution - up to 4K resolution at 12fps. The top end for the White is 1080P/30fps. The Black shoots 1080P/60fps normally so video will be smoother than the White.

The Silver is a nice compromise, 11MP/10fps Burst. It just doesn't do the higher resolution stuff the Black is capable of - it's best is 1080P/30 like the White. It just has twice the sensor resolution of the White. Unless you plan to buy a 4K HDTV, I doubt the better resolutions the Black is capable of matter. And at 12fps shooting slow moving stuff or it will blur. The 4K consumer market is going to be dominated by cameras like the RED or BlackMagic anyway - assuming you have the $$$. I'm sure there's a high-end DSLR either out or coming soon that can shoot 4K also.

There's also the "Burst mode" (stop action) difference, the Blacks will do 30 frames/sec, Silver 10fps, White 3fps. For stills only.

Someone once posted the White was a repackaged GoPro Hero 2.

Thanks for the offers and opinions. I can wait for 25% off. And maybe even until after DEMA where I might get an even better deal. This is not a need it's a want so I can be choosy and selective. I might decide to wait and just buy a used .22 semi now since the season is winding down and I'd get more use out of the rifle.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

If you're only into stills for students, my dive buddy just got an 8mp sealife for 99 bucks from some website. If you're interested I'll ask him what site. I haven't seen any pics from it yet, but my understanding is sealife makes halfway decent point and shoot dive cameras.

GoPro will be doing 25% off their current prices on the 1st of October, on both the Silver and Black editions.

So $247 for the Black and $187 for the Silver. If you can wait till then.

will that be across the board or specific dealers?

The fundamental difference between the Black and the White is the imaging sensor. The Black has a 12MP sensor, the White 5MP. Most $200 p/s still cameras currently have 12-14MP sensors for comparison. So for stills or frame grabs from video, the Black will yield a much better image. Or if you plan to review footage shot on it on an HDTV, you might notice a slight quality difference. It also has the ability to shoot higher resolution - up to 4K resolution at 12fps. The top end for the White is 1080P/30fps. The Black shoots 1080P/60fps normally so video will be smoother than the White.

The Silver is a nice compromise, 11MP/10fps Burst. It just doesn't do the higher resolution stuff the Black is capable of - it's best is 1080P/30 like the White. It just has twice the sensor resolution of the White. Unless you plan to buy a 4K HDTV, I doubt the better resolutions the Black is capable of matter. And at 12fps shooting slow moving stuff or it will blur. The 4K consumer market is going to be dominated by cameras like the RED or BlackMagic anyway - assuming you have the $$$. I'm sure there's a high-end DSLR either out or coming soon that can shoot 4K also.

There's also the "Burst mode" (stop action) difference, the Blacks will do 30 frames/sec, Silver 10fps, White 3fps. For stills only.

Someone once posted the White was a repackaged GoPro Hero 2.

Just keep in mind that the black is currently(and has been) only $30 more than the silver, on amazon, and it comes with the remote, so if you think that you want the remote, just go with the black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom