Need help with Pony bottle setup???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked at the "DIR solution" from Halcyon and I'm personally not crazy about it. Too many straps. Won't it wiggle around? I don't know much about DIR/Halcyon but isn't it suppose to keep it safe by reducing extra buckles, straps, etc.. (not trying to start an anti-DIR/Halcyon thing.) The Halcyon double velcro straps just would not give me great confidence. Too many straps etc. I try to work a personal Hogarthian style which basically means, for me, Keep it as Simple/Safe as possible.
The X-bracket is probably, for me, the least complex solution and the Pony Tamer once installed on all three tanks seems to offer the simplest consistent change over.
Both the X-bracket and the Pony tamer are made by the same company, Reef Scuba. (Pony Bottle Brackets from ReefScuba.com)
If you already own the X-bracket then buying a single cam strap seems the easiest (cheapest) solution. (buy one with a steel buckle (see my comments below))
At present, as I mentioned earlier, I use an X-bracket with a single cam band to hold it to my main tank. It is very secure. I use two 98cuft OMS low pressure steel tanks, and switch my pony between them. Yes, switching the X-bracket between tanks takes a coupe minutes, but that's all.
Right now I'm looking at going to the Pony tamer: I broke the plastic buckle on my cam strap on a dive Saturday, so I need to buy a new cam strap minimum. (Water temp was 0 celsius, air temp below freezing. I think condensation got into the buckle while the tank was in my sub-zero garage. New plan: steel buckle, all scuba gear stored in basement!)
What I like about the Pony tamer is that once I get the brackets attached to all three tanks, in the exact right positions, I can switch my pony bottle between tanks and it will always be in the exact same spot on either tank on any and all dives. (Again part of my personal keep it simple...and safe style.) But it is a solution that is a bit pricier than a new cam strap.

I'm packed away now until spring so I have time to shop online and make a final decision later. (ie. if I have an extra $50-60 in my pocket come spring!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom