Need Help with gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timten

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what to get. I just finished my Open Water and am ready for my own gear. I live in Northern California, so would be doing a lot of cold water dives. I would also try and travel to warm waters maybe once a year. My LDS seems to have mostly Oceanic and Aeris.

1) BCD Zeagel Ranger(Brigade) or Stiletto
2) Zeagle Octo Z
3) Oceanic Neo Reg
4) Oceanic Vt3 if the tax man is kind.
5)Henderson Famer John Thermoprene

Thanks

Get a custom Wet suit or a dry suit! If your not comfortable you will not dive! So all the other gear will sit in your garage and rot! Then a good Reg, BCD, and Computer, but don't buy it unless you will use it as all dive gear has a life and needs up keep!

Don't jump into buying gear until you've dived enough and tried a few styles, especially when it comes to BCD's which can make all the difference in the world.

As far as BCDs go, I suggest a rear inflate rather than a jacket, I just picked up a Seaquest "Balance" although I have not yet dived with it but it's highly rated.

I prefer the customizable backplate and wing. Simple, cheap if done right, and the most comfortable I've used.

Most important...make sure you are buying what you want the first time through. It saves money that way. Do research, make good informed choices.

Rather than the Octo I recommend going with the same reg for both second-stages. Read up on the use of a long hose before you are sure that the Octo is the way to go. It was never very kind to me.

+1 Don't jump into buying gear

Work on finding a good wet suit and get ready for Abalone season. See how much gear you can try so you get some experience on what you are comfortable with before putting out a lot of cash, unless you have plenty to spare.

My Diving is not particularly fancy so I don't need the newest best whatever is available. Research an buy solid brands on LDS sales, closeouts, 2nd hand ( the "gear will sit in your garage.." syndrome) or at reasonable price. I dive a 7mm Harveys stretch suit off the rack after I tried numerous others for the right fit. I've been lucky that over the years rack suits fit me.

At this point in time the fit of your suit and BC will be the most important decisions you will make.

Save enough money to take your gear to the ocean.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom