Need help with fish indentification....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, looks like a fish. :wink:

My Bad! Peaked my curiosity so I pulled out my copy of "Micronesian Reef Fishes" by Robert F. Myers. Great book by the way!

The little guy in your photo is a Dragon Wrasse. aka Xyrichthys taenicourus

"... a solitary inhabitant of semi-exposed reef flats and lagoon and seaward reefs to a depth of over 14 m. It is relatively common in areas of mixed sand and rubble that are subject to mild surge. It feeds on gastropods, bivalvees, sea urchins, brittle stars, polychaetes, and crabs, and will turn over rocks in search of prey. Juveniles resemble a drifting piece of algae and mimic it's movements. They make interesting aquarium fish and are easily approached, but may dive into the sand if pursued. Adults are uite wary."

Indo-pan-Pacific: Red Sea to Panama, N. to the Ryukyu and Hawaiian Island, S. to Lord Howe and the Tuamotu Is.; throughout Micronesia.

whew... lots of typing.

It looks like what I would expect a dragon wrasse to look like :)

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking that up.

I'll update the gallery.

diver_paula:
My Bad! Peaked my curiosity so I pulled out my copy of "Micronesian Reef Fishes" by Robert F. Myers. Great book by the way!

The little guy in your photo is a Dragon Wrasse. aka Xyrichthys taenicourus

"... a solitary inhabitant of semi-exposed reef flats and lagoon and seaward reefs to a depth of over 14 m. It is relatively common in areas of mixed sand and rubble that are subject to mild surge. It feeds on gastropods, bivalvees, sea urchins, brittle stars, polychaetes, and crabs, and will turn over rocks in search of prey. Juveniles resemble a drifting piece of algae and mimic it's movements. They make interesting aquarium fish and are easily approached, but may dive into the sand if pursued. Adults are uite wary."

Indo-pan-Pacific: Red Sea to Panama, N. to the Ryukyu and Hawaiian Island, S. to Lord Howe and the Tuamotu Is.; throughout Micronesia.

whew... lots of typing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom