Need help with equipment decision!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Coconuts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this isn't exactly the most appropriate forum for this but I am desperately needing help on this and who better to turn to than fellow Texans for help???

Quick question here...thinking about making a purchase tonight on a light set...I am trying to decide between two, maybe three sets...
1) Princeton Tec LED set with the Shockwave LED, the Impact XL LED, the Eco Flare, and the Tec 40...also comes with the wrist lanyard and retractor.
2) Princeton Tec Adventure Pack with the Shockwave II, the Impact XL LED, the Sea Star, and the Tec 40...also comes with the wrist lanyard and retractor.

I was just curious if the LED version of the Shockwave is really that much better then the standard Xenon Shockwave II??? The LED set is about $60 to $70 more...worth the difference in price??

The other set I might also consider is the Underwater Kinetics Dive Pak Set with teh C4 eLED primary light, the mini Q40 eLED, the mini-pocket eLED, and the eLED penlight.

Have to choose and buy tonight....help!!!

I'm not going to go on about the difference between brands, because I feel that is more of a personal choice than which one is ultimately better. (That being said I REALLY like Salvo) :wink:

As far as the difference between LED and Xenon, you will notice a difference in brightness both out-of-water and in-water. Out of water you will notice the the LED has a more even spread, with the xenon having a more noticeable "bright spot." Notice I did not say a BRIGHTER "bright spot." You will notice this in the water as well, but what does this mean to you as a diver?

In clear water the LED will blow the xenon lights out of the water, the clarity and amount you can see is phenomenal. On the other hand, in murky water you will notice that the xenon lights will seem to penetrate better. This is because due to the more even spread of the LED there is more backscatter due to suspended particles. With the xenon this is not as noticeable because there is not as much light on the perimeter to mess with your mind.

As far as the lights you mentioned ... I am not a fan of pistol grip lights (I can't help it ... I lean more towards can lights), but the Princeton Tec Impact is a SOLID light ... it is brighter than I thought it would be when I saw it. The Tec 40 is also a great light. One thing I do like about Princeton Tec is their service ... if your light stops working, send it in and they will fix or replace it for the cost of shipping. Nice to know if for some reason you have problems.

BTW ... it also works if you find the light on the bottom of the lake and it doesn't work :wink: :wink:

I like the OxyCheq raider...
It serves as my backup, and is brighter than most other "non-cannister" lights out there. One of the best buys this year... :wink:

Torch-Backup

. . . . . . . . monitoring . . . . . . . . . . with curiosity. I just don't know.

I agree with what WJ said. I sell both brands and they are both good. I had a brief run where I was seeing problems with both brands of lights, and both companies took care of them promptly. I personally use the Princeton Tech mini-wave. As far as the difference in price between the LED and non, I think it is marginal. Consider that the batteries last up to twice as long with LED and you don't have to worry as much about the bulb going out.

I hope I'm not too late, but if I were you I'd rethink buying one of those boxes of misc. lights. You'll end up with maybe one good light and a couple of mediocre ones that you'll probably never use.

I'm going to second the Oxycheq Raider 3 Watt LED OxyCheq 3 Watt LED Backup Light, Dive Lights, OxyCheq, OxyCheq 3 Watt LED Backup Light. They refer to it as a backup light, but it is very bright. When Brandon and I were looking for backup lights for cave diving I compared it to several high-end, more expensive 3 watt lights and none of them were brighter than the Raider. Most weren't even close.

Another point: When Brandon and I did our primary light failure drill deep in a cave in Coz the Raider lit the place up. I remember what Brandon said about it the first time he used it in the lake too. He referred to it as a "light saber."

Just one more...the stores can hardly keep the things in stock. They are great lights and the word has gotten out.

No matter what light you go with do some live comparisons. Make the shop put batteries in them and show you the beam in a dark room. My advice is to go with a narrow beam (like the Raider). It will cut out a lot of the back scatter Jamie mentioned and penetrate better/farther.

Good luck with your purchase!

does anyone know how the OMS Vega compares to the Oxycheq?

It's one of the lights I checked against the Oxycheq Raider...not even close. I sold my Vega right after I did the comparison. One light that was close and is still inexpensive is the Intova Nova. You can still see a distinct difference between it and the Raider though.

Back
Top Bottom