Need Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulefeathers

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning a little spear fishing trip this weekend. Wanting to launch out of Dauphin Island or Orange Beach. Is there a good public boat ramp that is maybe close to a dive shop were we can get our tanks refilled?

We are just wanting to go to one of the rigs. Also were can I get spear fishing license as well as one temp fishing license for the person staying topside?

The plan was to do two dives at the rig and them maybe a third at the Whiskey Wreck.

Any thoughts or information we be helpful

Boggy Point and Cotton Bayou launches are public and they're both within a mile or two of Gary's Gulf Diver(Orange Beach, AL).

You can get spearfishing and fishing liscenses online at https://www.alabamainteractive.org/dcnr/license/index.cgi .

If you are set on diving rigs, you may want to launch at Fort Morgan or Dauphin Island. You'll be further away from dive shops. There is plenty to dive right out of Orange Beach if you aren't set on diving rigs.

The Whiskey Wreck is diveable by beach, I can give you directions to it via landmarks; but I have no numbers for it offhand(I have a google Earth plug-in that has it, but I'm not sure how accurate the numbers are since I've never verified it).

Seas are running 9-12' at the moment, pray for them to subside. Surf is running shoulder-head high which translates to 5-6'. By far the highest surf we've had in several months.

I have been watching the weather. I am not dead set on the rigs but it all I am aware of for spear fishing. about how many miles is to the nearest rig from Dauphin Island?

Thanks

Mile or two? They'll be pretty muddy though... You'll want to head out a bit further for clear water.

You can spearfish on any of the dive sites in Alabama.

Well here is what we have going on. 3 people that have never spear fished before determined to have fun. Driving from Jackson MS. We have fished the rigs from topside and seen diver there before (about 2-3 years ago)

Any suggestions on were would be a good place to go. I open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Range? What kind of boat are you taking down? Are you new to diving all together or just spearfishing?

New to diving new to spear fishing This is not only first fishing but also first dive since certfication.

I have 20' Center console 40 gallon fuel tank.

I would recommend some of the inshore sites so you don't get a big fish that will bring you deep. Go tag some sheepshead and flounder off 3 mile barge or some of the bridge rubble sites.

I see the location of Bridge Rubble off of gulfdiver website but were is three mile barge?

Goto any of the fishing tackle places in Orange Beach and ask for a map with fishing locations. 3 Mile Barge will be on any of em. Its 3 miles SSW of Perdido Pass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom