Need Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulefeathers:
not only first fishing but also first dive since certfication
You do have an experienced buddy with you, right? If not, invite someone experienced along with you. I recommend a "recon" dive or two on any site before taking a gun along. Get comfortable with the site before hunting it. Don't worry about running the fish off - they'll be back within an hour. Do not get in a hurry. Don't shoot anything big until you have killed a few under 10 pounds or so and learned how to consistently hit the "sweet spot." Flounder are a good start. A 30 pound Amberjack shot in the wrong place can beat you slap to death.
Rick

Are all three of you shooting for the first time? If so I know other may disagree with this but at TMB is only in 30fsw it might be wise to dive solo on the bottom and have another hover above. Load your gun on the bottom

Hell have you set a time you all will be out on the water? I may just meet you all out there. Of course I would feel bad about missing a day of work but sacrifices have to be made as we all know

check these out
30-13- 41.5 N 87- 33- 00.0 W three mile barge
30-12-05.7 N 87- 36- 14.7 W Drive over 5.90 miles out the pass
30-08- 36.5 N 87- 34- 05.7 W My lowrance map 9.03 out the pass
30- 15- 30.4 N 87-32- 27.1 W 1.16 miles at the pass

Be safe and think about a good pre dive plan with the others

Hey Rick where is the sweet spot on a large Cobia? Or should I say can one be stoned?

Are you coming in for the shootout this weekend ? if not you in luck with learning some pointers shoot a email to gulfdiver on here. He is sponsoring it

tom wicker:
Hey Rick where is the sweet spot on a large Cobia? Or should I say can one be stoned?
About the width of one eyeball directly behind the eyeball. But an eyeball-to-eyeball shot will do the trick :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
About the width of one eyeball directly behind the eyeball. But an eyeball-to-eyeball shot will do the trick :)
Rick

I'll have to try that shot most of the time I shoot about a finger length behind it and look like a fool. I've been told of a tail shot to paralyze it to it can be stuck have you ever tried that one? Or do you think the old boy was pulling my leg (god I hate these fish Love to eat them though)

tom wicker:
Are all three of you shooting for the first time? If so I know other may disagree with this but at TMB is only in 30fsw it might be wise to dive solo on the bottom and have another hover above. Load your gun on the bottom

Hell have you set a time you all will be out on the water? I may just meet you all out there. Of course I would feel bad about missing a day of work but sacrifices have to be made as we all know

check these out
30-13- 41.5 N 87- 33- 00.0 W three mile barge
30-12-05.7 N 87- 36- 14.7 W Drive over 5.90 miles out the pass
30-08- 36.5 N 87- 34- 05.7 W My lowrance map 9.03 out the pass
30- 15- 30.4 N 87-32- 27.1 W 1.16 miles at the pass

Be safe and think about a good pre dive plan with the others

Are you coming in for the shootout this weekend ? if not you in luck with learning some pointers shoot a email to gulfdiver on here. He is sponsoring it

Well I don't know if we will all shoot or even have guns in the water at the same time but we are all taking guns.

We are not coming for the tournament but will be there when it is going on. Not ready for competition.

Send me a phone number or email when we get a plan there is plenty of water out there.

Thanks

tom wicker:
I've been told of a tail shot to paralyze it to it can be stuck have you ever tried that one? Or do you think the old boy was pulling my leg (god I hate these fish Love to eat them though)
I do believe you were being set up :) At least I've never seen one stopped cold with anything aft of the operculum. If you can string the eyeballs together you'll be close enough to the brain to stun one... just behind - and I mean just - and level with the eyes is center brain. If you go a finger length behind you have to be lucky enough to sever the spinal cord for a stun.
A nice little piece of backpocket info, if you ever really need it - for almost any shark, stringing the eyeballs will roll 'em up.
Most folks shoot too far back most of the time - use the width of the eyeball to set your aim point just that far behind the eyeball, level with to very slightly high (maybe a half an eyeball), and see if your stun rate doesn't go way up...
Rick :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom