Need help on making phone calls in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add 1 more to the Whats App band wagon. .

Do you (or anyone) know if Whats App works on computers too? I installed it a few years back and deleted it but that was on a Windows phone. I like Viber because I can also reply to texts on my computer with a real keyboard and not make about a zillion typos. Whats App seems to be popular in China too.

AT&T is $10/day. There is no free plan unless you're alteady enrolled in an international mobile data plan. (Which aint free). Just call 611 from your phone if you have them to check.

VZW just changed to $5.00/day. Used to be $2.00.

In both cases, the carrier's profits are about exactly what they charge you.

Do you (or anyone) know if Whats App works on computers too? I installed it a few years back and deleted it but that was on a Windows phone. I like Viber because I can also reply to texts on my computer with a real keyboard and not make about a zillion typos. Whats App seems to be popular in China too.

www.giyf.com

How can I install WhatsApp on my computer?
WhatsApp can be used right from your desktop without a browser. To install WhatsApp on your computer, access our website from your computer’s browser or download it via the Apple App Store. WhatsApp can only be installed on your computer if your operating system is Windows 8 (or newer) or Mac OSX 10.9 (or newer). For all other operating systems, you may use WhatsApp on your browser
here....

AT&T is $10/day. There is no free plan unless you're alteady enrolled in an international mobile data plan. (Which aint free). Just call 611 from your phone if you have them to check.

VZW just changed to $5.00/day. Used to be $2.00.

In both cases, the carrier's profits are about exactly what they charge you.

I hate to differ with you but I am with AT&T on a family plan (and maybe thats the difference) and am NOT enrolled in an international data plan but am enrolled in the FREE North America plan that includes MEXICO and Canada. In 3 trips to Mexico over the last two years have used my phone extensively and have not been charged a cent. Not a single cent. So while you seem to have a real beef with AT&T and while I certainly have no desire to disuade you in your belief I do say to all those that would travel to MEXICO on AT&T to sign up for the FREE ROAM MEXICO PLAN and enjoy the full benefits you receive at home without ANY added costs.

Yes, there is a whatsap for web app - google it and then to set it up you just have to already have it on your phone, then you'll be asked to scan a bar code so it can sync to your whatsap on your phone.

I just got back into town and read all these great tips! Yea, no worries. So many options. This morning I got the ATT "day plan". It's $10 per day while in Mexico, if I use it. Got Christi's local number. Got Cozumel Palace number where my daughter is staying. Downloaded the app Christi recommended (messenger). So, I'm covered. One call to Christi, One call to my daughter and then probably just turn my phone off. All I want to hear are boat engines and bubbles in the morning and the afternoon breeze by the pool! Thanks everyone, and you Christi for turning me on to messenger. Never used before until you sent me that audio clip on my pc. Still want to talk with you about living in Coz. Now that my dad is gone, no grandchildren, one adult daughter (who would probably see me more in Coz than here!)...really considering retiring there.

I hate to differ with you but I am with AT&T on a family plan (and maybe thats the difference) and am NOT enrolled in an international data plan but am enrolled in the FREE North America plan that includes MEXICO and Canada. In 3 trips to Mexico over the last two years have used my phone extensively and have not been charged a cent. Not a single cent. So while you seem to have a real beef with AT&T and while I certainly have no desire to disuade you in your belief I do say to all those that would travel to MEXICO on AT&T to sign up for the FREE ROAM MEXICO PLAN and enjoy the full benefits you receive at home without ANY added costs.

I have to disagree with you. I used to work as a consultant for T. The NA Roaming plan is not a free plan. It is an upgraded plan at a cost depending on your current plan. It allows roaming in Can and Mex with conditions. Data choking and limits exist on the plan-check the conditions. If you're a very frequent border crosser, it makes sense, if not, it's a pointless plan.

This is my last comment on a very complex issue. Carrier billing is intended by design to be confusing and complicated. They rely on ignorant and confused consumers who can barely understand what's on their bills.

I have to disagree with you. I used to work as a consultant for T. The NA Roaming plan is not a free plan. It is an upgraded plan at a cost depending on your current plan. It allows roaming in Can and Mex with conditions. Data choking and limits exist on the plan-check the conditions. If you're a very frequent border crosser, it makes sense, if not, it's a pointless plan.

This is my last comment on a very complex issue. Carrier billing is intended by design to be confusing and complicated. They rely on ignorant and confused consumers who can barely understand what's on their bills.

You are absolutely correct. I checked all my options with ATT and that's why I went with the temporary "day plan". I currently have the 3GB plan for $65 a month. It's only one phone and at my age I don't game, etc. and I never use near the limit. ATT offers an "unlimited" plan for $95 per month (which warns about data choking in the conditions), and you also get canada and mexico if you have the 10GB or higher plan, which is probably the case if you have the whole family on one account.

You are absolutely correct. I checked all my options with ATT and that's why I went with the temporary "day plan". I currently have the 3GB plan for $65 a month. It's only one phone and at my age I don't game, etc. and I never use near the limit. ATT offers an "unlimited" plan for $95 per month (which warns about data choking in the conditions), and you also get canada and mexico if you have the 10GB or higher plan, which is probably the case if you have the whole family on one account.

Yes you are correct it is present on plans of greater than 10GB and so then let me rephrase that so that everyone is happy.

IF you have a FAMILY PLAN or a plan with an allowance of greater than or equal to 10GB of data please sign up for the FREE Mexico Roaming plan which is ABSOLUTELY FREE with ABSOLUTELY NO hidden charges other than the 3G/4G/LTE that you use will be deducted from your monthly allowance. I can confirm after three trips that there were absolutely no additions to my bill and that the cost of the plan is FREE.

As to tridacna's comment that he used to work for AT&T and that it was not a free plan. I submit that it is possible that perhaps and I mean just perhaps, the plan has changed from its prior format when he worked there as a consultant? Tridacna I am also sure you weren't suggesting that I am an ignoramus incapable of reading a phone bill both as far as the services I have as well as my monthly fees before, during and after a Mexico trip.

IF you have a FAMILY PLAN or a plan with an allowance of greater than or equal to 10GB of data please sign up for the FREE Mexico Roaming plan which is ABSOLUTELY FREE with ABSOLUTELY NO hidden charges other than the 3G/4G/LTE that you use will be deducted from your monthly allowance. I can confirm after three trips that there were absolutely no additions to my bill and that the cost of the plan is FREE.

Not to beat a dead horse, but when I checked in Oct.2016 with AT&T, if you had their best going plan, the Roam North America feature was automatically included. As already mentioned, we have a family plan and I went online and checked the boxes to add the feature to all 4 phones in our plan at NO COST. I did chat with the online agent on AT&T's website first to verify what I was seeing on the screen in front of me. So I am just saying that if you are already an AT&T customer, you can possibly already have access to the feature and get free use of talk and text.

What I know for a fact is that I received a call from the U.S. (there was only the 3G network) and made a call, and had no extra charges on my bill.

I actually thought there were other companies that had done this before AT&T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom