Need help on making phone calls in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I travel so many different places that I have a hard time keeping up. Ergo, I opt for Skype and even have a Skype in number so peeps can always call me when I'm out of coutry.

Almost everyone in Cozumel uses WhatsApp, which will allow you to send messages and make voice calls over a data connection (such as wifi) for free. Just grab the app and set it up before you leave home.

Yep - as I mentioned as well - since he has an iphone - imessage texting is free when on wi-fi. Facetime is also free with internet connection (with other iphone or ipad users) - it has an audio call option. Also the facebook messenger app has same option.

Whatsap is a great option as Mark mentioned above as long as you have internet connection (wifi0 - you can make calls and texts but you have to download it before you get here since your phone is a US phone.

Barracuda doesn't have phones in room but use one of the several free options to reach me. No worries.

Call ATT and unlock your phone. Buy a SIM card when you're there. Insert SIM card. Problem solved.

This is a no brainer.

This is what I have long been doing when I travel internationally for any length of time, though with Skype, etc., and WiFi everywhere, it is beginning to seem a little quaint. In Coz, I had more difficulty buying a SIM card than I have in most places. As far as I could determine using my mediocre Spanish, the convenience stores don't sell them--they could sell me additional time, I believe, but not the SIM card itself. As far as I could determine, you have to buy one at an office of the provider--what is it there, Telcel or something. They wanted my street address and other such info that is not really geared toward the one-week visitor. After a couple of perplexed employees made some inquiries, I finally got a SIM card, but I had to return a few hours later, etc.--it was anything but fast and easy. In some countries, you just walk into a convenience store and buy a card that gives you a local number and X minutes of airtime. It doesn't appear to work that way in Mexico.

In Coz, I had more difficulty buying a SIM card than I have in most places. As far as I could determine using my mediocre Spanish, the convenience stores don't sell them--they could sell me additional time, I believe, but not the SIM card itself.

It used to be easy, then it became difficult, then it got easier.

For a while there, you had to register a SIM using a Mexican ID number called a CURP. There were a couple of places where the clerk would just register it to him or herself - the dealer under the Mega was known for this. It's easier now, and larger Oxxo stores do sell SIM's that will work before you walk out of the store. My sense is that eventually most phones will have built-in SIMs that can be reassigned to a carrier by scanning a barcode or some such.

I've been maintaining 4 Telcel SIMs for several years. That just became more difficult when they changed their website and I was unable to update a credit card because they use a security system involving charging a tiny amount to the card then having you report that number to them. That doesn't work if the amount is converted to another currency. In any event, we just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile, so we may just stick with using our US numbers on the island. It's not as if anyone ever calls them. We use iMessage, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger extensively.

Get a VZW phone. Unlike ripoff scumsucker $10/day ATT, they charge $2 a day to extend your plan to include Mexico.

One of the features AT&T has is "Roam North America" which is unlimited talk and text when traveling in Canada and Mexico at no cost. You may have to have a certain level of plan to get it. Know I used it while in Playa del Carmen last fall.

The nice thing about Apple products is the ability to text (iMessage) and FaceTime with a wifi connection to other Apple products.

Add 1 more to the Whats App band wagon. With a wifi connection (think it worked with the data network also) it was very easy to communicate with the dive op we used while in Mexico. Believe I used it the day we were in Coz also.

I second Jonhalls comments. My AT&T plan allows me to Roam North America for no fee and so I can call and text and use the internet for no cost what so ever although my 3G/LTE (Did not see much 4G in Coz) gets deducted from my plan usage just as it would be in the USA. The Roam Free is free but you do actually have to add it to your service.

Get a VZW phone. Unlike ripoff scumsucker $10/day ATT, they charge $2 a day to extend your plan to include Mexico.
I think Verizon just raised theirs to $5 per day.

Not that I am a lover of AT&T but Verizons is $5 per day and AT&T is free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom