Need help on DIY wetsuit alteration.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Being skinny really sucks when it comes to getting a proper fitting wetsuit also I haven't found any affordable custom wetsuit makers so I was thinking of buying the closest fitting suit and altering accordingly.

So what I need to know is how to do it the best way.

1. What's the best way to cut the neoprene especially curved cuts? Is a sharp razor and some curved rulers ok?
2. What is the best glue for neoprene? Is Trident Neoprene Cement ok?
3. I'll be using surgical circle needles to do blindstitching on both sides.
4. What is the best way to hide the stitching, either with liquid tape, neoprene tape or just some kind of sealant? I prefer to not look like a Frankenstein with stitching marks all over after a dive.
5. Lastly where do I get the necessary supplies.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• blindstitch-wetsuit-seam.jpg
    blindstitch-wetsuit-seam.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,435
1. What's the best way to cut the neoprene especially curved cuts? Is a sharp razor and some curved rulers ok?
Either that or good shears. You need nice perpendicular cuts so you can butt the materials together. If you have some scrap to work with prior it's a good idea.

2. What is the best glue for neoprene? Is Trident Neoprene Cement ok?

Any neoprene cement is fine. They do have clear and black depending on the suit color. When you press the glues faces together don't crush them down. The walls must stand so you have good gluing surfaces to bond.

3. I'll be using surgical circle needles to do blindstitching on both sides.

Cool

4. What is the best way to hide the stitching, either with liquid tape, neoprene tape or just some kind of sealant? I prefer to not look like a Frankenstein with stitching marks all over after a dive.

The stitching is usually celebrated as a feature, nothing to hide. Get colored nylon thread so it blends with the factory stitching. Actually stitching impressions when you get out of your suit are the hallmark of a good fit, be glad.

5. Lastly where do I get the necessary supplies.

Dive shop & sewing/department store.

My experience (albeit many years ago) with modifying a wetsuit for my skinny wrists was that stitching was not necessary. This was with a 3/8" (9mm) suit so the glued surface was quite large but had no issues with the seam coming apart at all and this particular part of the suit had some significant stress when donning as my hands had to go through the small wrist opening. Probably would not work with a really thin suit, but for a 7 mil and possibly a 5 mil suit you might want to test. Might save a lot of work.

I have modified many wetsuits. You make the cut with scissors. Try not to touch the edge with fingertips that have natural oils on them. Apply a thin layer of glue to both sides including the nylon inner and outer material. Allow to dry for an hour or two. Apply a second coat of glue to both sides and allow to dry fro 5 minutes until tacky. Then carefully press the sides together and try to squeeze together. Sewing long seams is a pain. i have used this iron on material with good results..

MAKO Iron On Patch

Don't think you need to do the stitching. I have made several neoprene neck and wrist seals for dry suits. In each case I glued them (3 coats) and then put stretchable seam tape over the inner seam. No issues what so ever with it coming apart. If I can do that for an area that is stretched to the max to get on, it should work for a normal seam. Both 3mm and 5mm neoprene has been used. The first one made (neck seal) has been used on probably 50 dives now and looks brand new.

Dumpster Divers comment about not touching the seam is right on. I have gone one step further and do a quick swipe with tolulene solvent before the first coat of cement.

Thanks guys,

I did look around but finding stuff on this is here in Singapore can be a pain, is there a place I can order online for all the stuff I need please? I have a really really good suit from Elios, the neoprene is super and the fit is tremendous except for the fact that its a tad loose around the arms and its a farmer john suit.

I'm looking add zippers on the arms, legs and a back zipper. I would like to convert it to a jump suit instead of a 2 piece.

Need a lot of stuff like the neck seals, neoprene strips for the backing of the zippers, etc so where can I get some diving suit supplies please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom