Need help, newb to bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have spent some time in my new bp/w doubles setup and I'm really starting to like the bp/w. So I thought why don't I get a singles wing and I can use one plate and harness for both single and doubles. Well it sounded like a great idea until I did the math and found out that I would have to wear 14lb of lead to sink. I just tried a weight belt and found there is no room for it. The bottom of the plate is either pushing down on or on top of the weights. Does anyone have a picture of someone wareing a bp/w and weight belt? Am I doing somthing wrong?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong since I am still learning...

You could put the weights in pockets attached to your harness. You could also strap a few #s to one of the cam bands.

Also, is your bp positioned correctly? it might be too low.

you could also try changing the locations of the weights on the belt. Since the bp only rests on your backside, keeping the weights on the side and front would prevent it from bumping into the bp.

Go with a Complete system.

I Dive the Halcyon Eclipse.
With SS backplate and the added 6lb Adapter. It comes with weight pockets. But I also purchased Trim weight pockets which I have on the bottom cam buckle. So technically I need no weight on my waist. Which Feels great when diving. And you should be able to do this with any BP/w system.

And do yourself a favor. Use a singles wing for singles and Doubles wing for doubles. They make different wings for a reason. If you attempt to use a wing made for doubles with a single you risk the chance of air getting stuck inside the Wing as it flaps around the Tank. With a singles wing you may not have enough lift.

They Ones I have personally seen and know alot of people who use them and like them would.

Halcyon
Halcyon Eclipse System HES *Buy Halcyon at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Or Diverite
Dive Rite Trans Pac Package ST3000P *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

I have spent some time in my new bp/w doubles setup and I'm really starting to like the bp/w. So I thought why don't I get a singles wing and I can use one plate and harness for both single and doubles. Well it sounded like a great idea until I did the math and found out that I would have to wear 14lb of lead to sink. I just tried a weight belt and found there is no room for it. The bottom of the plate is either pushing down on or on top of the weights. Does anyone have a picture of someone wareing a bp/w and weight belt? Am I doing somthing wrong?

With a heavier plate, or ballasted plate you won't need much in a belt.

If you are now using a Stainless Plate + 14 lbs in a belt a DSS plate + 8 lbs weight plates would leave 6 lbs on your belt.

Plates:https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=2

Weight Plates:https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=7

Please note, DSS weight plates fit only DSS back plates.

A 6 lbs belt is much easier to accommodate.

I'm not a fan of having 100% of your ballast on your rig for single tank diving.

Good luck,

Tobin

depending on what kind of suit and what kind of tanks you are using you shouldnt need any weight on ur weight belt . i dive al80's with a 7m wet suit and i use no other weight but there are many other tricks u can use to add weight insted of using a weight belt because for me at least it messes with my trim quite a bit. for example you could get a led weight bar that goes on ur stainless steel backplate and attaches to the bolts from ur double which weighs aprox 6lbs plus your ss backplate and ur tank bands which is around another 6 or if you dont have a ss backplate you could use the weight bar and 3 or 4 lb weights on your shoulder straps which will put you around 13 to 15lbs . and if you need a wing that you can use for singles and doubles try the dive rite rec wing it has bunges where you could expand the wing for doubles so ur more stable and have more bouyancy or u can change it back to singles which this wing is fine unless you use tanks bigger than lp steel 95s.
ps: sorry for my spelling lol

A very simple solution is the DUI Weight & Trim harness. It's what my husband uses, and gets the weights out of the way of the waistband.

I think you will find that, unless you like using an STA, you'll end up buying a second plate, because taking cambands on and off is a PITA.

I use a pair of cam band pouches and a v-weight on the plate which pretty much eliminates any need for weight belts or pockets on the harness.

And do yourself a favor. Use a singles wing for singles and Doubles wing for doubles. They make different wings for a reason. If you attempt to use a wing made for doubles with a single you risk the chance of air getting stuck inside the Wing as it flaps around the Tank. With a singles wing you may not have enough lift.

I am using a single wing for singles. I guess I should have been more specific, SS plate, al 80, two 5lb weight pouches attached to either side or the plate. I do have a set of hp100's but thoes are doubled up now. With my doubles I need no weght in fresh water and about 6 in salt, but with a single tank I need between 12 and 14 lbs.
and yes it takes that mch to sink. So where do people put all this weight and is t normal for the back plate to interfeer with the weights on the belt.

What I would do is put 6 or 8 lbs in camband pockets on the cambands, and the other 6 or 8 lbs in camband pockets on the waist strap. You might experiment to see where you trim out the best. I use the XS scuba camband pockets; they're about $6 each and they work fine. If you're concerned about ditchable weight you could either live with the fact that you ditch by taking weights out of the pockets on the waist belt, or wear a weight belt/weight harness.

So where do people put all this weight and is it normal for the back plate to interfeer with the weights on the belt.
mattboy:
What I would do is put 6 or 8 lbs in camband pockets on the cambands, and the other 6 or 8 lbs in camband pockets on the waist strap. ... I use the XS scuba camband pockets.
Ditto here, except I use Halycon pockets. But, splitting weight, between two cam band pockets and the weight belt, should work well. No, it is not normal for the BP to interfere. I position the belt weights on my sides, toward the front of the belt, so there is no contact with the BP itself, and the weights are not directly under the hip D-rings on the BP harness. I have used a DUI harness, which Lynne mentioned, with a drysuit when I really needed a lot of weight, but ultimately found a belt / camband pocket combination was better for me.

Back
Top Bottom