Need help!! How do you remove cat pee odor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tolerate the ones my friends have, but I have no desire to rush out and get myself one, mostly for the exact things you list about them.

Something about an animal that has ability to access every surface in the house and do vindictive things just doesnt seem appealing. I can live without all the hair everywhere as well.

Yes, it is a hardship to have friends who have cats.

Last edited:
My nephew borrowed a backpack from me and just prior to returning it his cat peed on it. I tried washing it in laundry detergent but the smell was still there. I also have cats so the last thing I wanted was for them to continue where the other cat left off. Someone suggested I soak the area with Shout stain remover. I did use the Shout and rinsed it thoroughly. It seems OK now.

I love my lab mix and all my cats. I have 4 cats at home and 4 at work. They are awesome and keep me calm when all hell breaks loose around me. My cats can be aloof at times but always seem to know when I am at my wits end with something. They show up for attention and it helps relieve stress. They also do some pretty funny stuff and the laughter is great as well.

Yes, it is a hardship to have friends who have cats.

Yeah, I was just at a friends house and now I've got little white hairs all over my jeans. On the plus side, a laser can keep both of us entertained for a long time. :D

moz-screenshot-41.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Peepers[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](TM)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - Disposable Pet Diapers for Dogs, Cats, & Pets [/FONT]

With our disposable diapers for pets we can let our best friend back into bed, up on the couch, or free to roam around the house, confident that accidents won't happen!
inbed.jpg
tbeds.jpg

A cat will come up and cuddle with you and then go piss on your rug or shred your drapes over the time you accidentally stepped on their tail or did not feed them fast enough.

What do you think they'd do to you if you put them in zero g? :popcorn:

cat.gif

I am glad you have had your cats checked out and they seem to be ok. If not already done, I would suggest bloodwork and a urinalysis especially for the older ones, if you can. Sometimes a metabolic problem such as kidney disease or diabetes will cause an otherwise normal appearing cat to inappropriately urinate even if only periodically. UTIs can as well but these are almost always secondary in adult cats.

Inappropriate elimination can result from stress too. Things such as having multiple cat in the household or other stressors like changes in routine dramatically increase its incidence. You should have one litter box for every cat plus one, preferably in multiple locations. This may seem obvious, but the boxes should be scooped daily. Litter and box (size, covered or not) preferences may play a role. Providing environmental enrichment such as play time and vertical spaces can help. More info at the following:

Problem Solving :: The College of Veterinary Medicine at The Ohio State University

I have seven cats (too many, but I'm a sucker for the hard luck cases) and have dealt with similar issues. As a last resort there are behavior modifying drugs which can sometimes help the otherwise healthy cat (though I would be very cautious in using these in an older animal). Ask your vet.

Hopes this helps,
Lilla

PS: Sorry I didn't address your original question. I have had good luck with Woolite Pet Odor and Stain Remover, available with other carpet cleaners. There have been some other good suggestions here as well. I'm not sure anything will completely remove what your cats can smell however.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom