Need help getting back into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rigby470

Reaction score
I got PADI certified about 8 years ago but have not been diving since. I would like to get back into the water and was wondering where I can go to refresh my dive skills. I also need to have all my gear checked, but I imagine most dive shops can handle that.

Do dive shops offer refresher courses? What are some good dive shops in the Fort Worth area?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Keith

The folks over at Surface Interval Scuba (Arlington) are real nice. They offer refresher courses and all sorts of things. They'll work to your schedule. Give'em a shout. 817-652-DIVE. Ask for Debra or just anyone who answers.

Keith,,, we at Surface Interval Scuba would be more than happy to assist you back into the water and scuba through a complete Scuba Review class (includes knowledge review and in water skills),,,plus we can check that gear out. HAPPY to hear you are wanting to take these very important steps before taking your first dip after so long!! Check out our web site at www.siscuba.com
Alan

Rigby470:
I got PADI certified about 8 years ago but have not been diving since. I would like to get back into the water and was wondering where I can go to refresh my dive skills. I also need to have all my gear checked, but I imagine most dive shops can handle that.

Do dive shops offer refresher courses? What are some good dive shops in the Fort Worth area?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Keith

It's a simple two step system.:14:

1. Take a scuba refresher. Most any dive shops can set you up. I recommend Suface Interval in Arlington, ask for Alan (TexDiveGuy). I have no affiliation except I've dived with Alan and know him to be a friendly and skilled diver. SI Scuba is also an active shop in organizing dive outings. Don't worry about the location, you'll be passing by there often under step 2.:D

2. Dive with your Swamp buddies every weekend, or at least every other weekend. Don't worry that Texas/Oklahoma diving isn't like Cozumel. It's valuable experience and lot of fun in it's own way. Dive everything you can, cold water, hot water, muddy water, shallow, deep, calm, swift, etc. I think you will learn more from 100 dives in such varied conditions than from 500 dives on a Caribbean reef. One of the closest and best local places near you is Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell.

I know there are some shops in Ft. Worth that might be closer to you (e.g. Lone Star Scuba) but I've not been to them. Spend most of my money at Tuckers Dive Shop in Grand Prairie, they have some good instructors, have heard some good things about Kurt and I know Bruce is good. Corkey could also help you out, he's a newly carded DM but he has a lot of dives under his belt. I've been to SIS a few times and they are nice people but I've never done any instruction through there.

I am curious, any reason you haven't dove since you got your c-card?

And what reef hound said, meet some local divers and dive a lot. Frequent diving makes for better diving. CSSP is a good place to start. Athens is in the area also if you don't mind your gear turning green. Lake Travis in Austin is one of my favorites (dark, deep and cheap). PK is a about 90 mins west of Ft. Worth and Murray about 30 miles into OK. Temps in the area are still a bit chilly for wetsuits (mid 50's) and the Travis viz is currently shot and will be for another month or so.

...and I'm off to CSSP Sunday for drills... in the rain... and paying $20... how fun.

loosebits:
...and I'm off to CSSP Sunday for drills... in the rain... and paying $20... how fun.

Just a heads-up for CSSP this weekend,,,University Scuba-UTA will have I was told around 25 students and staff doing Adv. and Rescue training. No real biggy, but if you notice a crowd thats who it is.
What time you going out,,,I was looking to dive somewhere this weekend also.....waiting to see if a reg. dive buddy is free this Sat/Sun..

I got certified with a couple of friends who both decided to give it up. So I was left with no dive buddy. They didn't enjoy diving nearly as much as I did!

I've spent the last 3 years in grad school. So I haven't had much time. I'm about finished now and I want to get back into diving.

Thanks for all the info!

Don't you love the internet, you'll have plenty of buddies now :)

Alan, we'll probably be getting there around lunch, Rick needs his beauty sleep (he *really* needs his beauty sleep). From Tek's post about our cave class, looks like we'll be doing a lot of *long* air sharing drills... like a whole dive.

I'm suprised UTA has that big a class anymore. I did my OW/AOW/Master diver through them way back when and they had several sections of OW with 10 or so students but this was back when you were required 4 hours or something of phys ed. Man, that was a hell of a program, Chas would beat your *****. Something to be said about taking OW through a 16 week university program.

loosebits:
Alan, we'll probably be getting there around lunch, Rick needs his beauty sleep (he *really* needs his beauty sleep). From Dave's post about our cave class, looks like we'll be doing a lot of *long* air sharing drills... like a whole dive.

I'm suprised UTA has that big a class anymore. I did my OW/AOW/Master diver through them way back when and they had several sections of OW with 10 or so students but this was back when you were required 4 hours or something of phys ed. Man, that was a hell of a program, Chas would beat your *****. Something to be said about taking OW through a 16 week university program.

LOL....UTA has some good size classes at times,,,,we get a number of their students/staff in the shop. I remember the days of required college P.E. ....I took bowling (Mr. Whimp) for some of my hours. Yea I read Daves post for you guys,,,,practice-practice! Yea if I get out there on Sunday I will try and look you 2 up....get to meet you both at least,,,,will not interfer with your drills,,,I fully understand the importance of review and skills work. Looks like the weather will be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom