need help from the Texans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
can any of you tell me if there is a town down your neck of the woods that is submerged and if so where is it?? :)

Lake Tenkiller in Oklahoma. You may be thinking of that one. Was supposed to do my OW check-out dives there but got sick and did check-out in Coz later. Heard the buildings are very unstable, be careful.

http://www.laketenkiller.com/about.asp

Scroll down to scuba diving.

There are some ranch houses and buildings under lake Amistad near Del Rio. And there is an old village in lake Havasu in Arizona.
There are likely others I dont know about though.
Joens

You'll hear stories of old submerged towns around almost every lake. Alot of our lakes were formed by damning rivers. I know there's old houses, barns, etc. in most of them from farms and ranches that were on the edge of the rivers. I've heard of whole towns in the lakes already mentioned but have never talked to anyone who has actually dived them. That may be because they are too deep.

Rooster1,
There might be some foundations of farm houses in Lake Travis. There is supposed to be an old wooden bridge between Starnes Island and Highland Lakes Marina, but I do not know the exact location, but it is deep with the current lake level.

As has already been mentioned, Lake Amistad at Del Rio has some buildings submerged, again old farm/ranch houses. I think there was a village in what is now Falcon Lake on the Rio Grande River between Brownsville and Laredo. When Falcon was so low for the last few years the remnants were out of the water.

My father-in-law knows the location of one in Texoma. I have been considering getting a group togeather to dive it next year.

TwoBit

Rooster1, TenKiller is a good choice I dove it this last summer, but you will need a boat to reach most of the sites. Do a search on tenkiller and you'll find dive maps of the lake. Most of the building are at 30-60 feet. There is a old bridge also. It can be a great dive it's just a long drive from the metroplex.

The greatest adventures underwater is the lakes which were built from 1900 to 1950's where complete towns and junk yards were submerged by the creation of these lakes. Some towns were swallowed up by flash floods before the dams were finished. Example is Possium Kindom Lake north of Minerial Wells where the dam results in 160 feet of water and a sudden flash flood result in a town being submerged ahead of time. The town lies in 100 feet of water.
This is a paragraph in the divetexas.com website, and I have heard many old-timers around the lake talk about this particular town, and there is a picture of this town that was taken as the Morris Shepard Dam was being built right before the town flooded. The picture is in the orange & white restaurant by Willow Bend. I have dove that area several times and I have not found anything that I could positively identify as ruins of a town, although I'm sure it's there most of the water in that area is 110-125ft deep and reeeeeally COLD, so you don't get much bottom time to look around if you know what I mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom