Need help finding dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrjimboalaska:
Catherine,
None of the sites that Sealancer's dive regularly are on the list posted on our website, with the exception of the pinnacles....
Diner, Sea Mount, Sharks Rock, Tims Ledge, Vic's spot are not listed. It is nice to be able to find spots that people want to dive without having to con 100 people to get the co-ords.
Going against popular belief, Charter operations do not own the moorings, while I do try to time arrivals so that it does not interfear with their business(and less divers in water) if I do go to a mooring.
All of Alex's sites on the south he got from the Sealancers(unlisted list), and the club helped him put 3 moorings in. Problem being, locals think it is their spot(for their fish traps that they NEVER check) and keep cutting the mooring balls off.
The is 2 sites I like alot and would like to put balls in(have the balls and line), I wont because the fish trappers will cut them off.
While I don't mind sharing a co-ord with someone, I really expect that their 10 best friends and their 10 best friends not be given the co-ords........

Here, here. By the way, we will have to get together one day and try to swap some coords.

As for people cutting the mooring balls off, there is a simple solution to that. It is called pressure sensitive mooring ball (polite name). Simple definition is once the ball is in place, if it ascends rapidly (i.e. being cut loose), it take everything with it in a spectacular fashion. Sort of a backwoods fishing technique. :11:

I believe Catherine was talking about the moorings in east honolulu because the only people that take care of them are the dive companies that use them. GPS spots are not given out lighty just because some people own huge boats and try to tie up to them. moorings aren't cheap at around 100.00 per one. Give or take a few. I hope Malama Kai would install some in East Honolulu. They put them in the correct way using pins and there are only 3 pins on this side. I heard of one person tying up to the corsair with a 65 foot boat. thank god he didn't drag the anchor into the plane

This is a bit late..
here is a list of day moorings for all islands with coordinates:

hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/dm/table.htm

for oahu I think the best person to talk to might be taylor from deep ecology. i know they have alot of the gps cords. though your best bet is to go diving and take your gps with you so you can mark the sites as you dive them.

Back
Top Bottom