Need help finding dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rubenesque

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if it's some secret society, but I've had the hardest time finding GPS locations for some of the more common dives out there. Would anyone care to share a site with GPS locations or provide them? :huh:

Looking for anything that's interesting, but wanted to start out with Baby Barge & Fantasy Reef. :14:

Saw that site - no mention of baby barge. :huh:

Thank you though, good resource :wink:

Honest answer.

In general, you might find that people don't put those on the internet.

I am not an operator, but they don't have an interest in making it easier for people to
compete with them and possibly be on the bouy when their charter shows up.

People that are not operators have their own spots they have found and even perhaps placed a mooring. They don't have any reason to share that info either. Divers don't know who you will give the sites to and might arrive at their favorite place to see tour buses, etc.

Don't even ask about the local "Hawaiian" sites because if you show up on one of their favorite spearing sites, they get kinda territorial. Your best chance is getting to know other divers, and asking your friends.

I have always been surprised that the Sea Lancers posted those, although it's not any of my business. Those coordinates are all the commonly known sites for the most part. The coordinates get out and then the commercial fishing boats end up in "your" spot. Not cool.

The very best spots are held close to the vest and traded for favors, etc, even though the rules are often unspoken.

Rubenesque:
I posted this thread in trips section, but looks like it doesn't get much traffic.

Does anyone have a link to GPS locations of popular dive sites? I'd like to go out to baby barge, fantasy reef, & anything else out there. I checked the sealancer site, but it wasn't a complete list.

Thank you!

I kayak dive and have a lot of them, nowhere near all though. I am willing to take people out on kayak to ones that I know, or to ones that I need to confirm if they are willing to help to that end. Don't really want to pay a charter fee just to get out to a site and confirm the coords before I kayak out 2 miles from shore to find I have the wrong coords.

So if you are into kayaking, or willing to take me and a buddy out on a power boat (if you have one), then of course, I can get us to some dive sites and have many that I would like to confirm by going to and jumping in to see if it is there.

Me and some buddies are diving on the LCU and Mahi (from kayaks) this Saturday actually.

rockjock3:
I kayak dive and have a lot of them, nowhere near all though. I am willing to take people out on kayak to ones that I know, or to ones that I need to confirm if they are willing to help to that end. Don't really want to pay a charter fee just to get out to a site and confirm the coords before I kayak out 2 miles from shore to find I have the wrong coords.

So if you are into kayaking, or willing to take me and a buddy out on a power boat (if you have one), then of course, I can get us to some dive sites and have many that I would like to confirm by going to and jumping in to see if it is there.

Me and some buddies are diving on the LCU and Mahi (from kayaks) this Saturday actually.

Jay:

Don't remind me... :sad:

Surf don't sound too good for the West though...

Kelii

sloyota:
Jay:

Don't remind me... :sad:

Surf don't sound too good for the West though...

Kelii

Not too bad. Surf is only supposed to be 2-4 for Saturday. That ain't bad at all in a kayak. I have even been out in 6+ foot swells. As long as the frequency isn't very close and the wind isn't howling it that is even tolerable.

right now the winds are supposed to be about 10 or less in the morning. We shall see.

On the Big Island, every mooring is listed in a book and is available to the public. Jack's Diving Locker sells the book for only $10. The former version of the book was $20!! Kind of unusual for prices to get lower over the years. Since it is illegal to anchor near a mooring, it is a good idea to make sure people know where the moorings are located. Jack's Diving Locker installs and helps maintain the 60+ moorings on the Big Island. They are working on getting more approved for the Kohala area as well as the other islands. I suppose mooring books will eventually be made for those as well. You wouldn't believe how many years and how much red tape has to be endured in order to get state approval for a mooring. Feel free to make a donation to help!! You can contact Malama Kai or Jack's Diving Locker (ask to speak with an owner or manager). It takes lots of money (and effort) to install and maintain these moorings...so your help will be appreciated.

Catherine,
None of the sites that Sealancer's dive regularly are on the list posted on our website, with the exception of the pinnacles....
Diner, Sea Mount, Sharks Rock, Tims Ledge, Vic's spot are not listed. It is nice to be able to find spots that people want to dive without having to con 100 people to get the co-ords.
Going against popular belief, Charter operations do not own the moorings, while I do try to time arrivals so that it does not interfear with their business(and less divers in water) if I do go to a mooring.
All of Alex's sites on the south he got from the Sealancers(unlisted list), and the club helped him put 3 moorings in. Problem being, locals think it is their spot(for their fish traps that they NEVER check) and keep cutting the mooring balls off.
The is 2 sites I like alot and would like to put balls in(have the balls and line), I wont because the fish trappers will cut them off.
While I don't mind sharing a co-ord with someone, I really expect that their 10 best friends and their 10 best friends not be given the co-ords........

Back
Top Bottom