need help deciding on a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first computer was an Edge, since then I have owned about 15 different computers. Between my wife and I ,we have Sherwood(3), Aeris(1), Suunto(2), Uwatec(3), DiveRite(1). IMO, other than a few features, most computers have all the functionality that you'll ever need, so with that said buy as much computer as you can. I prefer air intergrated on the wrist. Mywife(inst. w/ over 1000 dives) was diving a console when she switched to air int. wrist she couldn't believe she hadn't switched sooner. Eliminate a hose that if fails, and they do, creates a rapid air loss. Eliminate something to dangle. With the wrist mount looking at your computer is as effortless as looking at your watch. Another nice feature of most air intergrated is the air supply/time value. As far as failures go everything can fail, any computer that you use can fail, that's why you have a contingency plan. I have about 600-800 dives on my Uwatec and it hasn't failed -yet.M

Suuntos have been known to be pretty conservative computers. But some models like the Vytec will allow you to adjust the conservativeness down should you desire.

Currently I dive a Air integrated Suunto cobra and I love it. It uses a RGBM model for it's computations and thus is EXTREMELY conservative. I do wish it was wrist mounted, however.

What I've been looking into is the Cochran dive computers, especially the Commander. They also use an RGBM algorithm and have 1 second sampling... that way you can send your information to DAN (they require a maximum of 4 sec sampling... SUUNTO's minimum is 10sec). It is also not quite so conservative and does not penalize you for a deeper second dive, something that has been in dive practice for a while but has never had the science to support it. They're not cheap, but they have 2 to 4 times the memory of any other comp on the market. They are intuitive to use, and they have a USB interface, something that I've been waiting for SUUNTO to make (dang thing won't work w/my laptop... even with a serial/usb adaptor).

However, I don't have the money to put down for another comp so I'll just have to "settle" with my Cobra (a really nice comp).

check them out,

PV.

gj62:
Look at the Oceanic Versa Pro, or the Aeris Atmos II. These units are OEM'd by the same manufacturer and are basically identical. (There are many computers on the market, it is NOT, as ChrisA stated, an either/or proposition).

I chose it based upon feature/functionality and price. Worked great so far. You can download a demo on the web at their sites...

I was simplifying it. Perhaps a bit to much but still I think
"Suunto or non-suunto" is the first decision to make. After you
make that decision then you have many more options to choose
from. The ones OEMed by Pelagic are quite similar but not the same.
And within each line, Suunto and Pelagic there is a range from
basic to expensive hoseless air integrated.

Download the user manuals, that's the best way to choose.
You will see that the Oceanic, aeris, Sherwood and so on have
idectical wording (word per word the same) is some places in the
manuals

i just want to thank everyone for the great advice i think i have an idea of wear im going with all this, but i'm going to do my home work and definitly check out those user manuals, thats a great idea, thank you again to all of you...

ChrisA:
I was simplifying it. Perhaps a bit to much but still I think
"Suunto or non-suunto" is the first decision to make. After you
make that decision then you have many more options to choose
from. The ones OEMed by Pelagic are quite similar but not the same.
And within each line, Suunto and Pelagic there is a range from
basic to expensive hoseless air integrated.

Download the user manuals, that's the best way to choose.
You will see that the Oceanic, aeris, Sherwood and so on have
idectical wording (word per word the same) is some places in the
manuals
Your allegiance to Suunto notwithstanding, I disagree that it is Suunto vs non-Suunto and certainly would NOT recommend that as the primary distinction to a new diver.

I'm not sure why the Suunto vs. Non-suunto decision is supposedly the first to be made. Is this because of SUUNTO's use of RGBM? To my knowledge only two companies use the RGBM tables, Suunto and Cochran Technologies. Shouldn't the question be to go with Wienke's RGBM model or a Non-RGBM (ie Haldane's) model, since the two algorithms are the main factor in calculating deco times. I know that Suunto used to take the traditional model and use a RGBM correction, but now I think their comps use a full RGBM algorithm. I'm sure there are other RGBM computers out there other than the previous to mentioned, but I don't know what they are.

Oh, and Nitrox and Tri-Mix rocks!

- PV.

Back
Top Bottom