Need help choosing a wet/semi dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nberlin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello. I have run into the issue of being too cold in the NJ waters which range from 48 at the bottom of Dutch Springs, to the low 70's. I need help choosing a semi dry or a 7mm wet suit and have come up with these options. Has anyone ever used any of these exposure suits or know if any of them are good? Also, a dry suit is not in my budget.
1. 7mm Mens Bare Elastek Full Super Stretch Scuba Div - Mens Wetsuits : House of Scuba Bare Elesktek 7mm
2. ScubaPro 7/5mm Everflex Steamers Super-Stretch Wetsuit .. 63.309 with reviews at scuba.com I have never actually seen this one before
3. Bare 8/7mm Velocity Sem-Dry Men's Hooded Suit - seems like the warmest... - I can also get this for $269
4. Cressi Lontra 7mm Men's Jumpsuit - Seems like the best deal, plus I can buy a separate hooded vest for around $120

Any of these options seem good? Or any other suggestions? There is the Scubapro Novascotia but it seems very expensive

I didn't see any replies, and I don't have direct experience with any of the wetsuits you've listed.

I do have a Xcel Hydroflex that I picked up for $230 at my LDS. Xcel HydroFlex 7/6 - MB76XE11 | Xcel US

i find for an entry-level 7mm wetsuit, it works great. The wrist and neck seals do a good job keeping cold water out, and the suit is compression resistant meaning my buoyancy doesn't change a huge deal like with other 7mm wetsuits made for surfing, etc.

I have the Cressi Lontra and I think it is a pretty good suit, relatively easy to get into (I tried the Bare and it was a BEAR to get into and the zipper was stiff). The Lontra zippers aren't dry zippers like some semi dry suits though. I would say that glideskin double cuff/zippered ankle and wrist seals are a must

Back
Top Bottom