NEED HELP...Buying gear online...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to buy some gear from online retailers. I have primarily (up until today) been pricing my gear at diversdirect.com. They have competitive prices and everything I would be getting would be new gear. I'm pretty much set on using diversdirect.com to order everything except my new regulator. I want to buy the Oceanic Alpha 8 with DVT (Dry Valve Technology). It has been priced at scuba.com and diversdirect.com for between $229 to $249, but at a diver website called leisurepro.com it is going for about $150. They label some of their regs as used that are in this price range and others they do not label them used, it sure seems like a pretty good deal and I'd hate to pass it up, does anyone have any good or bad experiences with leisurepro.com? They do offer a used gear guarentee but I am looking at avoiding used gear when it comes to a regulator.......PLEASE HELP!!!

I have ordered a number of items from leisurepro and have had no issues with them. The items I purchased were mainly parts and exposure protection, so I don't have any experience with them with respect to purchasing regs, BC, etc. The only other thing I would say is to not rule out Scubatoys.com. I have purchased many items from these guys and they will give you a 10% discount off your order if you tell them you are a scubaboard member. Good luck.

Both Scubatoys and Leisurepro are fine operations. Both are registered Oceanic dealers. Do not pay too much attention to website prices for Oceanic. CALL for best price.

The CDX5 first stage which is currently being sold with the Alpha 8 is a solid first stage, and the Alpha 8 is a reliable, simple downstream second stage. But, imo the Oceanic dvt is a sales gimmick which has not been trouble free. The non-dvt version is a better buy.

Back
Top Bottom