Need Hawaii help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffestpirate

Reaction score
I use to live on Oahu (about 15 years ago). I didn't begin to dive until after I moved to Florida ( I was into surfing). I have a friend who is going to Hawaii in the spring. He has a couple of kids who are novice divers. He is wondering about shallow (60 ft and under) dive sites. I know the area fairly well, but have no clue as to where to send him. Any help would be most appreciated.
thank you,
chris

P.S.
Happy New Year everyone!!

are you wanting boat dives or shore dives for them? Kahe Pt. (Electric Beach is a good shore dive (can get to around 50 ft. max -i think that deep), sharks cove is shallow, the trench (but they would have to stay off the bottom - everything is at 30 ft. anyways), makaha is shallow then for boat dives you have turtle canyon, kewalo pipe, fantasy reef etc.... (even Makaha is boat or shore).

The Electric Beach dive should come with a disclaimer that you need to either find some guard duty for your vehicle or take everything of value with you and leave your windows down.

Bad theft area.

we have never had any problems with Electric Beach. If you do a night dive- that is when you need a watch on shore. You should never leave anything of value in car at any time anyways. Very few people have had problems with their cars at E. Beach, just when the sun sets you need to be more careful. There are usually too many people on the surface at any given time, during the day, for the homeless to get to nosy. We don't night dive there. Your car can also get broken into or stolen while at the mall at night. Hawaii is no different than anywhere else with theft.

Melissa

If they are coming in late spring, the North Shore would be a great place to go.

as always its good to do a few dives with a group of some sort when going to a new environment be it a company or some one from this or any other board.north shore is usually great during the spring. personally I would say three tables is the most colorful dive, lots of friendly divers that you can group up with, there are also some very good companies on that side of the Island I would recommend deep ecology they are really cool fun company,and they know the north shore dives very well, I dove with them once up there at three tables even though they had a group they invited me to come along. simply cause they knew my boat captain.and most of the north shore dives are shore dives. while kawalo basin offers some fun dives that are shallow 60 feet or less I can truly say that fantasy reef is one of the best dives on the Island right up there with three tables. only some times its a bit rough on that side of the island. how ever its a boat dive. by far the best company on this dive is Waikiki Divers. the best group of guys on the island bar none. also on the same dive is the wall and spitting cave.all these are some spectacular dives you will never forget.good luck on your choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom