Need goodman handle torch suggestions, HATING my Big Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive rite cx2, nice handle that's got a wide top so very comfortable even on a bare hand and has a quick release mechanism so you can take the torch off in seconds if you want to

Any idea how the CX2 compares to their LX20+? It seems as though the CX2 outperforms the 3 times costlier LX20+ in both brightness and battery life. Is there anything the LX does better other than being slightly shorter? Am I missing something here?

Overall, how do you like the CX2? Does it perform well as a primary dive light?

Thank you!

I can't compare CX2 to LX20+, but I can compare to your BigBlue. I find the BigBlue brighter although ever so slightly heavier. Also, it has a wider body which does make finding a goodman handle challenging. The CX2 though is much much longer. Photo doesn't do it justice. Put it on your goodman handle and on the back of your hand though and it is likely to cover your dive computer if you wear that on your left wrist. I only have 1 dive with the CX2, but it was pretty clear from that one dive that BigBlue will remain my primary and the CX2 will be my new backup.... it's nice... its just VERY looooong.

IMG_1599.jpeg

NR-2000 - Kraken Sports
Hi all,

I have a BigBlue VTL3800P that I absolutely HATE. The goodman handle is uncomfortable, does not stay on my hand well, and the torch does not even mount well to the handle itself - the light is attached to the handle (or ball joint for my DPV or video light tray) by one tiny philips screw. Either you risk stripping the head or you end up with a torch that doesn't feel like it's secure to the handle.

I dive in the PNW which can have extremely bad viz but are there any recommendations for a bright torch that has a goodman-style handle under $500? My budget is pretty strict unfortunately. Thank you.

NR-2000 - Kraken Sports

I have the TL3500P big blue. Love the light, it’s awesome but have struggled with Goodman handle. On my fourth option and I think it’s a winner! Like others suggested, go with Dive Rite QR handle and their generic mount that uses cable ties. The handle comes with spare longer screws. I used one longer one which goes through the mount and into the threaded hole on the BigBlue. Thread is wrong size, but having the longer screw poke into the hole it helps prevent the light sliding forward/back.

Then I added a bungee to the goodman handle, so that when wearing it bungee goes behind base of your hand and it holds everything in place. Don't need to hold onto goodman, it just stays in place but is super simple to pull off and change hands if needed.

Additionally I have CX2 as backup light clipped to my harness. So if I need to switch it is quick and easy and I don't need to remove my goodman handle from hand at all to do it.

Here's the parts
Dive Rite QRM Goodman Handmount w/Locking Receiver ONLY

Dive Rite QRM-UNI Striker Only for Universal Lights

View attachment 676067View attachment 676068 View attachment 676071

Just wanted to say thanks again for your advice. I did exactly what you recommended (except my handle didn’t come with extra screws long enough to reach the light) but I made it work with a screw I had in my toolbox. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom