Need goodman handle torch suggestions, HATING my Big Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Shibe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I have a BigBlue VTL3800P that I absolutely HATE. The goodman handle is uncomfortable, does not stay on my hand well, and the torch does not even mount well to the handle itself - the light is attached to the handle (or ball joint for my DPV or video light tray) by one tiny philips screw. Either you risk stripping the head or you end up with a torch that doesn't feel like it's secure to the handle.

I dive in the PNW which can have extremely bad viz but are there any recommendations for a bright torch that has a goodman-style handle under $500? My budget is pretty strict unfortunately. Thank you.

You could probably just replace the hand mount. Use the Diverite Soft Handmount with QRM for the handle and then attach one of the "QRM blocks" to the light with zipties or simmilar. Good solid attachment to the light that way and you're not dependent on a single screw.

That is, if you're happy withe the other characteristics of that light in the first place.

I agree with @DiveClimbRide that it's quite comfortable. I use it with a variety of lights. You can even 3d print the QRM blocks (or cut from metal or plastic) to use with the quick release system if you're miserly.

Here's what the blocks look like. You would set the light on top of the block and use either cave line or a zip tie to attach the light through the holes. Then the little flanges on the bottom fit into the QRM base.

upload_2021-8-11_15-47-35.png

I have the TL3500P big blue. Love the light, it’s awesome but have struggled with Goodman handle. On my fourth option and I think it’s a winner! Like others suggested, go with Dive Rite QR handle and their generic mount that uses cable ties. The handle comes with spare longer screws. I used one longer one which goes through the mount and into the threaded hole on the BigBlue. Thread is wrong size, but having the longer screw poke into the hole it helps prevent the light sliding forward/back.

Then I added a bungee to the goodman handle, so that when wearing it bungee goes behind base of your hand and it holds everything in place. Don't need to hold onto goodman, it just stays in place but is super simple to pull off and change hands if needed.

Additionally I have CX2 as backup light clipped to my harness. So if I need to switch it is quick and easy and I don't need to remove my goodman handle from hand at all to do it.

Here's the parts
Dive Rite QRM Goodman Handmount w/Locking Receiver ONLY

Dive Rite QRM-UNI Striker Only for Universal Lights

notinhandle.jpg
IMG_0497.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg

Alternative solution, which would be my second choice, was a flat 3d printed mount which you then thread with bungee. The plans for the mount are here BigBlue Bungee Mount by Oxid

I don't have access to 3d printer, so went online here https://www.xometry.com, uploaded the plans I downloaded from ThingVerse. It cost $19.81 including tax and shipping to get it printed for me and sent to my place in Texas.

There are other 3d-printed designs too, so if you really wanted to experiment, this is a great way to do it even if you don't have access to your own or a friends 3d printer.

I think the razor hand mount is decent.

Razor Hand Mount + Light Holder

You attach the light holder with zip ties, it works well. I also have the helmet mount flange which is very convenient, you can stick your light on the back of your hand or on the helmet at a variety of angles.

This would save you from getting a new light.

Have you considered picking up a used HID light? I have 3 Salvos (Still serviceable by light monkey) and including cost of buying and servicing each light was less than $500.

I think the razor hand mount is decent.

Razor Hand Mount + Light Holder

You attach the light holder with zip ties, it works well. I also have the helmet mount flange which is very convenient, you can stick your light on the back of your hand or on the helmet at a variety of angles.

This would save you from getting a new light.

That’s what I use with my big blue as well.

Have you considered picking up a used HID light? I have 3 Salvos (Still serviceable by light monkey) and including cost of buying and servicing each light was less than $500.

I miss my HID, I still think it's the best quality of light. I couldn't keep mine working, and LM eventually told me they couldn't either.

Sola Dive Pro 2000 if you look for focused beam or 2500 S/F if you want also the option of flood beam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom