Need general info about Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Have seen an ad for a job in Marathon that has me interested, but I know NOTHING about Marathon. Would love to get some general information about the area. Is it a good place to live, is it expensive, my husband is an electronics engineer -would he have any prospects? Would really appreciate any pros & cons on both nondiving & diving subjects. Thanks

I spent a lot of time on Big Pine Key, but know enough about Marathon to give you a hearty thumbs-up on the place.

Marathon is one of the better places to live in the Keys, as its big enough to support a reasonable city infrastructure (restaurants, grocery stores, Home Depot, K-Mart, even a smallish hospital), and most tourists DRIVE RIGHT BY IT. That's right, the tourism "problem" is agreeably minimized in Marathon. Being (barely) within the Lower Keys, Marathon has fatter islands than the the ones up north; this equates to more living space, and escape from the Miami nuts that clog up Highway 1. There is a strong Coast Guard presence, and craploads of personal boats with potentially bad wiring (possible husband job caveat).

Keys living isn't cheap, but Marathon definitely offers more options than say, Key West or Key Largo. People who like amenities and "stuff" generally do not conform to Conch mentalities, which resembles the culture of a Caribbean nation more so than much of the United States. Just think Hemingway...

Marathon dive options are pretty good... run a search on this board and you'll find quite a bit (try keywords "marathon", "diving", "keys", "looe key", and "thunderball").

Thanks for your info! Conch mentality sounds great to me!! Hope that others will give me their ideas too (mainly non-diving) - PLEASE. Come on Floridians - entice me!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom